SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I live in shared house, the census has arrived the census

I live in shared house, the census has arrived the census website says each householder can fill their part individually, but that the household form still has to be filled. The household form is a paper form that includes some household general questions like who lives here, their names and how many people live here or how many visitors. The other householders one of them put their name there and filled all their individual details in the form as he did not fill the individual form, and the household form has space for each member yo answer all their personal questions there if dont want to answer them separately online as i did, i put my name and ticked the box that says that i filled individual form. I see other householders dont want to put their name there but the form says at least their names must be there, so i can not send it as its as its criminal offence i understand to lie on the form, and someone has to put his signature there to send it by saying that he filled it to the best of his knowledge. What should i do? To not be fined or criminally charges as this might affect my settled status application in the future. If i send it without their names, it would be like a lie i guess as the form says that must be completed, and also asks how many guests were here but i simple do not know what to answer there as i do not monitor the house for guests and i am not comfortable asking other householders as i do not trust them as they might lie.

Good morning. If you are not one joint tenancy agreement and you each have your own AST or licence agreement then you are not one household, each would have their own household in that shared house. However if you are on a joint tenancy and therefore one household you can only complete the form to the best of your ability and the information you do not know you leave out. The best person to complete that form would be the landlord because they already have everybody’s details and as for guests you will just have to not declare because you wouldn’t know who visited. Any clarification please do not hesitate to send your follow up question. I am glad to assist further.. all the best,

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I called the helpline they mentioned me to contact landlord when i said that i live in shared house renting a room here i have AST
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I am afraid to fill it saying that only one person lives in my household and then they charging me with a criminal offence due to in this house four people live here in other rooms
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I live alone in my room
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukdsi/2020/9780111193617/article/2
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
There it says about the meaning of household, i dont live alone, as i live alone in my room but share the common spaces with other tenats, so i understand according to that legislation we are only one household
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I called the helpline they told me to call landlord when i mentioned that i rent room in shared house, i notified landlord but no reply
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Another tenant put his name too and filled the personal details
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
In the household but there are two tenants pending to do that, one of them says he already filled the census at previous home, the other one says he answered individually but he still should i think put at least his name on the household form and tick the box that says that he answered individually the personal questions

Hi if they have already done their forms elsewhere or as individual then that’s fine. You are your own household though if you have your own AST. You are overthinking it, you are not committing any criminal offence,

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
There are two forms, the personal individual one for each member of the household and then there is another form with general questions, they filled their individual ones only but their household ones
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The househols one has general questions
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
About the household
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Here it says in one part "need to answer separately from your household?" I clicked there
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
filled my individual questions but there when you click that link it says that someone must still send the form for the household

Good afternoon. I totally appreciate that but you have no legal Basis to force anybody to give their details. You give what you have to the best of your ability.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I dont force anyone but the household forms says all the names of the members of the household must be filled, so if they dont fill their name there then i feel like i can not send it

You should send it as you have filled it in to the best of your ability. What would you do if they were stuck outside the country due to lockdown and the deadline for submission arrives? You can’t do the impossible and the government does not expect you to.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
why dont other people in the household send it? Why do i have to be the one that sends the household form? Fir the whole house
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I notified landlord

Well, I am not sure why you are taking it on because I doubt the letter would have been addressed personally to you, it would have been addressed to the household and you have opted to take on the headache. You must send it to the landlord who knows all the tenants and is best placed to complete it, just make sure you have done your individual form.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
i did that, i filled my individual one and notified landlord about household form, but that form and all letters are addressed to the householder

So just leave it, you should not take on a responsibility that is your landlord's. You have done your part, if you choose to still do it then complete only what you know but I do not know why you are wanting to do it if you are not the householder.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
you are right i just read on the form it defines who the householder is
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I thought that i was the householder as i was the one that requested the paper form and opened it
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
But the form once i opened the mail, it says the householder is
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The person that owns/rents or jointly rents the accomodation and the person that is responsible or jointly responsible for paying the bills and expenses
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
But i rent the room and the expenses and bills are payed by landlord not by me
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I rent room from landlord
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I read on the internet that householder means the person that owns or rents a particular house
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
As i rent here from the landlord a room

Hi, let the landlord complete the form, you are really taking on something that is not your responsibility and you will not be arrested for having let the owner of the house do the work, it is his problem if he neglect doing it.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I thought the mail was addressed to me
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Do you think that i opened illegally the mail then? I requested the paper form and opened it thinking that as its adressed to the householder it meant that it was addressed to me
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I contacted the letting agency and to notify the landlord they asked me to take a photo of the first page of the form that includes the household access code to fill that form online, do you think that by taking such photo i did something illegal like copyright infringement?

Hi, thank you for your messages but I am not quite sure what else to say to you. You are not the householder, it is not a criminal offence that a letter was dropped at your home where you happen to have a room and you have notified the home owner of the letter and that he will have to complete the relevant form, he does not even need the physical form the code that you gave to the agency is all they need and they can do the rest  online. They will be happy for you to do and they will not stop you because that saves them the headache of having to do it. But why you are doing it and you are not paid for it I do not know why and I do not think I can really add anything of legal significance apart from just reassuring over and over that you have not committed a criminal offence.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok thanks no i wont do it

You are welcome.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
As i said i was thinking to do it because i thought it was my responsability but now that i understood that it is not, then i wont do it
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
regarding the envelope adressed to householder i opened the envelope and inside there was the household form
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
But i understnand that in uk is illegal to open someone else envelope
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I opened it because i thought that i was the householder, and it was addressed to the householder
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Do you think that is legal?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I knew beforehand that it was going to be the firm as i was the one that requested it to be sent in paper form
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
form
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
i opened the envelope already knowing that it would contain the census form
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
But now i read the form and there it says the householder is the owner not me, but the envelope waa adressed to "the householder"

That does not matter. Tty not to overthink this. The landlord will answer to the officials if he does not do his part.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok i think you mean that is legal then.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have generalized anxiety disorder so i worry a lot

Hi, I understand. You have not done anything illegal so please do not worry about it

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I just read again the household form, the household form says that the householder is responsible to make sure the form is filled and returned, and it says the householder is the person that owns/rents ( or jointly rents ) the accomodation; and/OR, the person that is responsible or ( joinly responsible ) to pay the expenses and bills, so my understanding as it says "OR" then it means that as i am the person that rents the accomodation from the landlord then i am responsible to ensure that the form is filled and returned?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Also it says that that person has to live or be present at this address
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
the landlord does not live here and is not present here

Hi, thank you for your messages. Regrettably there is really nothing different I can add. You could log a separate thread and ask for a second opinion. I feel I have explained as much as possible and within my knowledge that it is not your responsibility but clearly the answer you want is that you are the householder that unless you complete everybody's names you have committed a criminal offence, but unfortunately I have no reason to say that. All the best.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No no i just mentioned you what the form says to see if you interpret from there too that i am the householder
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Nothing else
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I do not get still why do you think i am not the householder if the form says that to my interpretation
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I mean what i did not understand is why you think that i am not the householder if the form says that

You live in an HMO from my understanding and your each have your own ASTs, you are your own household and if you consider how HMOs are assessed for pursposes of deciding whether to be licensed the landlord has to show how many households are in the property and how many individuals are in the property. Your household is whoever is on your AST and you should not be taking on the duty of completing a form that is asking you for more than just your household, However intepretation will always have the potential of disagreement of views and that is why I have said you must get a second opinion. I am not able to change my view because this is work I deal with on a daily basis and where landlords have not given separate ASTs and have a joint tenancy they have had the duty to complete the household form and not a tenant.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok maybe i could send it twice? One saying i am only one in my household and another one saying that we are all the tenants in the household?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
ist putting 4 tenants in the ither form and not putting their names
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
just

You DO NOt have to do it, the government already knows about your existence from your individual form and you count as one. Please kindly ask for a second opinion, I cannot say more unfortunately. I have tried to help as much as possible.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok no problem yes the gov knows from individual form about me but individual form says that someone must still fill the other household form that has additional questions regards

Ok.