How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tamari SL Your Own Question
Tamari SL
Tamari SL, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 959
Experience:  LLB UK (Hons) with International Law, Foundation in the UK Law, OISC
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Tamari SL is online now

I am looking for legal advice and help on the application

This answer was rated:

Hi there,
I am looking for legal advice and help on the application process needed in order obtain British citizenship. I have been studying and working in the UK for the past 7 years and I have been granted Indefinite Leave in the United Kingdom. What are the next steps in the application process?
Best Regards,
Daniele Incerti
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I have not started the process yet. I live in the UK and at the moment I have a Italian passport but I believe I have the requirements to also apply for a UK one as well.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the citizenship application?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not really. I think I have everthing needed for a successfull application

Good morning, I am an immigration lawyer in the UK and I will be assisting with your question today.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi Tamari
I would like to know how does the process to obtain a UK passport work and how long will it take?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
also which documents are required in order for the application process to be successfull?

Alright, first of all, Daniele, how long are you holding Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK already?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I received the letter with indefinite leave on the 13 of May 2020 and if I am not mistaken it is possible to ask for citinzeship a year after receiveng the settled status (so in two weeks time)

It is correct, you can apply after one year of obtaining it unless married to a British Citizen.

You will now need to make a naturalisation application, once it is approved, you will be naturilised as British and only after you can apply for a British Passport.

Please allow me 15 minutes and I will write requirements to you

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
thank you so much
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
also it is possible to know how long does the process take on average?

To apply for naturalisation, you will require to show your residence in the UK for the past 5 years. Evidence of that can be a tenancy agreement, a letter from the employer, letters from the university, council tax, bills, payslips, bank statements, and any other proof.

You should not have been absent from the UK for more than 450 days for the past 5 years and more than 90 days for the past 12 months at the date of the application.

You also will require two referees who will provide consent about you.

The process may take up to 6 months but usually, decisions are made within 3 months.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
How does the referees work? Can they just be collegues or friends of mine?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
if I have all the proof of residence in the past 5 years, how and where do I apply?
Do I go to the gov-uk website?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
also what are the next steps in the process? I read that there is a life in the uk test that needs to be done

Your referees may be called upon by the Home Office to verify the information you have provided in support of your application and confirm that you are of good character. One must be a British citizen passport holder and EITHER over the age of 25 OR a professional person. The other referee must be a professional person (of any nationality). Neither referee can be related to you or each other and must not have been convicted of an imprisonable offense in the last ten years.

Life in the UK test is also necessary for ILR, I believe you already done it?

Also, English language requirement must be met which again should be done when you applied for ILR unless you obtained it under settlement or EU route.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No I never done any life in the UK test or any English language test
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I think that the English level was given to me on the basis that I graduated from a UK university
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
are there any other tests/requirements that I need to meet to obtain the citizenship?

Please follow the following link, it identifies all the requirements you will need to meet as well as application form that needs to be completed

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
in the website in the how to apply section it says that you can use an agent or representative
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
will you be able to provide assistance as an agent or representative?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
if so, what are the costs involved?

Would you like to have a phone consultation so I can explain all the requirements in detail and then we can discuss the fees involved?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
is it possible to have a short answer without having to pay the phone call fee?

I do not know what service you will require therefore, I can not provide an exact answer of how much it will cost. It may cost from £350 to £650.

Thank you

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Okay. I will think about it and after reading all the info on the gov-uk website I will let you know.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
thank you anyways for all the info

No worries. Thank you

Tamari SL and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you