james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I have a tourist visa question regarding my boyfrienf: usa

Customer Question

i have a tourist visa question regarding my boyfrienf: usa citizen on 6 month tourist visa that expires 16th june he has return ticket; i am usa and uk citizen we usually live in california together but he has been helping me deal with caregivng severe family health isues
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I am uk and usa dual citizen I have been helping my family in london throughout the pandemic; I usally live in california
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the tourist visa?
Customer: i am tax resident in usa
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: we need my boyfriend to find the quickest and surest route to renew his tourist visa. we want to know if he can go out of the country to elsewhere in europe before his visa expires to trigger another
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Can my boyfriend go to another european country to renew his tourist visa before the 17th? Will he get a new tourist visa when he re-enters or will the days continue to to count down on his original tourist visa instead of it renewing? If he has to go back to the states how long must he stay there before returning?
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
what is a service offer???
Expert:  GSenmartin replied 19 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. If I do not respond quickly, I promise I will reply as soon as I can. It may take a little time to research and write your answer.

The visa expires or you are asking about his stay that is expiring? And why don't you just marry him and apply for his green card so he can stay in the U.S.?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
No marriage thanks my father is dying I need caregiving help; I am 66 years old no marriage and not fast enough
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
His tourist visa runs out on June 16; we want 6 moths more tourist visa renewal

OK. Before his stay expires, he would have to file an I-539 which can be found here:

http://www.uscis.gov/i-539

He would have to explain the following:

1) How much time he needs.

2) Why he needs so much time.

3) Why he couldn't do what she needed to do during the first 6 months he had.

4) How he would be supporting himself for this additional time since he is not allowed to work.

5) What STRONG ties he has to his home country to ensure that he will go back.

6) What preparations he has made to go back.

As long as the I-539 is filed before the stay expires, staying in the U.S. after the stay expires is legal while the I-539 is pending.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – but we are NOT done if you need to continue. If you feel you have received anything less than excellent service or you just simply have additional questions, please reply back as I am happy to address a few (within a reasonable limit) follow-up questions for you and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need help reviewing documentation or additional services outside of this website, we can upgrade the service to communicate in private about that.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Can u help or do I need to end my subscription
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Please read the info I sent more catefully
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I have to stay in London I need him here with me to help me
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
He has return ticket to USA on last day of visa June 16th
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Please talk about tourist entry visas not marriage
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I need precise accurate info
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Can u help or not

My apologies. Your question ended up in the U.S. Law forum. You are actually asking a UK immigration law question, correct?

I will opt out and transfer your question to our UK Law forum. My apologies.

Expert:  james bruce replied 19 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

As a US citizen, your boyfriend can visit and remain in the UK for up to six months visa free. If he has a travel visa, then he can also stay for the same period of time.

Unfortunately, a tourist visa can to be extended. The maximum period of time he can remain in the country is six months. That six months can be one continuous period, or broken down into multiple visits.

However, it is a strict time period, and the person can only list the UK for six months. Those six months are six months in any 12 month period. Therefore if he has already been in the UK for six months as a visitor he will now need to leave for six months.

Can I assist or clarify further?

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
thank you James, so if he goes to another country in Europe before his tourist visa ends will his tourist visa renew upon his reentry back into the uk? Or should he wait until the day after his visa expires to visit another country? Do u see any alternative approach to this situation other than leaving for 6 months

It would make no difference.

He can only be in the UK for a maximum of six months in any 12 month period.

ie 1x 6 months , 3x 2 months, 2x 3 months, or any other option you want 6x 1 month etc, but in any 12 month period the maximum time is 6 months.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
what is our best course of action; stay put or go to another country and return. How can immigration know he has been in the country. No tracking software in use until next year
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
can he apply for a partner visa; if so, where and how?

Stamps in pasport etc.

The choice is yours what to do, I can only advice on the law, not to break it. If he attempts reentry and is stopped he could be refused entry and banned.

The link below explains the family visa for partners etc,

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
alternatively what is the harm in my boyfriend just

if your boyfriend just ?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
stayed put
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
we do not have the 8 weeks to apply for a partner visa; we could not antiucopate our current situation wher i cannot return to live together in the USA

He would be illegal in the country. If he is caught or stopped for anything, he could be detained, and deported with a 10 years ban on reentry.

The UK does take immigration seriously like the USA.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
how when and where can he apply for partner vis please?

The original question was about tourist visa and staying or leaving as a tourist.

Your new question is regarding a different type of visa altogether. That would need to be asked as a new question sorry.

I did however supply you the link above detailing how and where etc to apply for that visa type.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
new question please: i am dual usa/uk citizen, partner is usa citizen. We r both currently in London. My partner's uk visitor visa runs out on june 16th
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I we r working 8.00am to midnight caring for my parents. We need simple instructions as we r extemely time challenged

Sorry you would need to ask that as a new question not attatched to the old one.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I do not see the link you sent on this subject can u resend please
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
we r both also unwell as we seem to have caught something from my father's hospital discharge; can we medical doctor extension. My partner is to unwell to travel
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
can we change visa now from inside the uk or will my partner have to exit and reapply?

As you will see on the government site he would need to do that outside the U.K.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
can we get any extension on pandemic and illness grounds please?
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
this whole unforeseen situation has arisen because of the lockdown

Unfortunately your boyfriend is going to either have to leave legally or remain as an overstayer and face the consequences later.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
We both have some kind of virus although we have had double vac. The ambulance crew told me to quarantine and my partner has just started developing. Does the government expect you to get on the plane sick????
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
What do you do in this case?

He can make a exceptional assurance application. He will need to show proof of a positive test or sickness.

The link attached explains who and where to make the application.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-advice-for-uk-visa-applicants-and-temporary-uk-residents

If however he is simply trying it on to stay longer in the U.K. and they find out, he will be facing deportation.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Do you think the gov. will accept essential caregiving as a reason to extend his stay? Thinking this will give him more time than illness to help me. We have my father's medical and hospital notes and my mother and their doctor could write to explain.
Expert:  james bruce replied 18 days ago.

I cannot answer for what they will accept. You can try. But, if he is well to travel in two weeks time then he can leave the country. You are still here to be able to provide care. There is also nursing and care home options.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
i wish it was that simple; trying to keep my parents together as they have been married for 67 years and hospital discharged my father to die at home, as per his wish
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
but that means caregiving is not a valid distress extension reason
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
complex medical so he is not going into care homes
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
he cannot be vacinated
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
he is 94

Very sorry but I have given all the general advice I can give together with the links that can be used to make the application.

However, you are not married, not in a civil partnership, but simply boyfriend. Therefore he has no legal ties to your relatives.
Very hard to accept I know, but that is the way it is.
He has nothing to loose in making the application.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
thankyou i really appreciate all you input

Your welcome, good luck.