SS Legal Advisor
SS Legal Advisor, Lawyer
Experience:  Senior Caseworker at DL Solicitors
107664070

What type of visa would I need to work in the US and what

Customer Question

what type of visa would I need to work in the US and what steps do I and my prospective employers need to do?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: No paperwork has been filed as yet, I have a potential job offer, but neither them nor I really know what needs to be done now. I'm in the UK and am British.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?
Customer: Not yet. I just need to know my next steps.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 12 days ago.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I’m ok to wait a little longer.
Expert:  TetyanaP-admin replied 10 days ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Tetyana-moderator
Expert:  SS Legal Advisor replied 10 days ago.
I am an experienced legal advisor and I am happy to answer your question.The process for a US work visa is a little complicated and it might be advisable to use a US based lawyer to apply for the visa for you.All the fundamentals can be found on the US EMBASSY website.https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/temporary-employment/You will need to submit an online application form with the offer letter from the employer, evidence of ID, UK status, any medical or criminal convictions etc.I am happy to answer follow ups if you have any.Kind regards
S
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
When I apply, do I have to specify which visa I’m applying for? And what does my potential new employer have to do?
you would specify the visa. It would likely be a temporary work visa. Your employer will need to provide you with the offer letter initially as evidence.Kind regards
S
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
That’s the problem I have. Which visa do I apply for? And what else would my employer have to do? They’re a little reticent to offer me a job because of the potential complications they would face and I just want to reassure them as to what is expected from them?
the specific visa type will be the H1B visa.Here are the steps that employers need to go through to petition a foreign worker:Have a Labor Condition Application (LCA).
File a petition with USCIS.
Fill in form I-129.
Submit the forms and the documents file.
Wait for the review from USCIS.So it isn't the easiest process for them but as long as the job is something high skilled that requires a masters degree and they have fairly advertised.Kind regards
S
Expert:  SS Legal Advisor replied 9 days ago.
Please do let me know if you have any further questions.Kind regards
S