Immigration Warrior
Immigration Warrior, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Immigration Consultant/Supervisor at Chatham Chambers solicitors
106663647

I'd like to know about the nanny visa from South Africans

Hi, I'd like to know about the nanny visa from South Africans travelling to UK for less than 6 months
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: None, want more info on it. I live in South Africa
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: My wife is a British citizen living in South Africa and I'm a South African citizen

Further to your question you could possibly apply for the Domestic Worker visa for your nanny.

Kindly note that she would need to come to the UK with her employer and will need to leave the UK with them and the visa will be for a duration of 6 months.

I will send you the guidance shortly.

Please find enclosed the guidance and please do let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-domestic-worker-visa

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
This is great, thank you. My question is about minimum wage, do we need to pay the nanny a minimum wage according to our country or according to the UK? Or is it not a factor for this visa?

The minimum wage is an essential element to the visa and its the minumum wage according to the UK.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I can't switch to phone as I'm in a public space and can't chat openly about finances etc. I saw an article today that should a person eat and socialize with family, they are exempt from the minimum wage, is this correct? Have you ever processed any visas with this requirement successfully?

Kindly note that under the Domestic Worker Visa, the employee is always expected to live with the employer and the minumum wage must be paid.

Kindly note that I have processed the Domestic Worker Visa.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Great that you have processed such a visa. Our nanny does love with us, socialize with us even visits our family with us. I saw an article stating if that's the case, then minimum wage doesn't need to be paid (we literally cover all of her costs so she never spends a cent). Can you confirm that this is the case?Here is the article I'm referring to: https://www.payefornannies.co.uk/national-minimum-wage-applies-nanny/

Kindly note that she is applying for a visa, Domestic Worker Visa and therefore the minumum wage will need to be paid as required by the rules of the visa.

If she was just a nanny that you are hiring in the UK then you do not need to pay them the minumum wage.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Ah, thank you very much, that helped! Have a great day further!