LawyerAk
LawyerAk, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert in Immigration and family law
109603637

I am a student who lives in the UK right now and I have

I am a student who lives in the UK right now and I have pre-settled status. My question is what happens if I remain unemployed after I finish my studies and for how long I can stay in the country as an unemployed person till I would be deported?

Good morning, if you have pre settled status you will not be deported but when you want to make application for settled status you would need to show you have self sufficient in the U.K.

Could you confirm you are under the Eu route?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Do you mean if I am from the EU?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
do you confirm that I can remain unemployed for the time span I need to find a job? And that there is no amount of time in which I must find a job otherwise I would be deported?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Anyway, Yes I am and EU citizen. I ma Italian.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
am

You will not be deported for not having a job with valid pre settled status.

There is no specific time but later on you will need to show you have been self sufficient for settled status.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
OK right. So the time by which I will need to have a job or demonstrate to be self-sufficient is five years. This means that within these five years I will have all the time I need to find a job without being removed from the UK. Right?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I have just a couple of more questions: what happens if I will be rejected the settled status (in the future)? And I have a durable partner (we are neither married nor in a civil partnership) we are partners for 15 years and cohabiting for more than 3 years. Are we considered family members? we have both the pre-settled status now, what happens if one of us is granted the settled one ad the other is not self-sufficient?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
how a person can demonstrate to be self-sufficient to aquire the settled status?

You would only be reliant on the partner route if your visa is under this route then you can show that partner supports you. If there are medical grounds why you cannot work that’s different.

A person can show they are self sufficient if they are in employment for example.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I would not be able to aquire settled status being reliant on my partner?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
what are other ways to show that I am self-sufficient?

Apart from I have mentioned above unless you see under the partner route or working.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks for your replies. Just to sum up the info you gave me:
1) I can remain in the UK as an unemployed person for the duration of my pre-settled status without deportation issues.
2)In case I will be unemployed when I will have to apply for the settled status, I will need to demonstrate that I am self sufficient either by demonstrating that I have an employment or by applying for the settled status as person who is supported by the partner.
3)there is no amount of time after which a EU person with pre-settled status could be removed if unemployed.Hope to have understood everything. Please confirm me this.Thanks again.

1. You can remain in the U.K. without deportation issue if you do not work. 2. To meet the requirement for settled status employment will show self sufficiency 3.  Aa mentioned previously you will not be deported for not working.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you very much.