Immigration Warrior
Immigration Warrior, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Immigration Consultant/Supervisor at Chatham Chambers solicitors
106663647

I was born in Cambridge, UK, in 1967 and moved to France in

Hi. I was born in Cambridge, UK, in 1967 and moved to France in 1990 where I have been living and working ever since. I managed to get French nationality in March; but intend to keep my British nationality too! My dad has just sent me an article from the Times saying British residents in France need to apply before the end of June to keep the right to reside in the UK. (I may need to soon - my parents are both 86 and ageing regularly ;-). Do I need to apply for the right to the right to return without a visa? (I have a British passport, valid until 2027 I think.) I may want to retire in Britain... Help!
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Oh, and of course, HOW do I then apply? (If I do need to.)
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Additional information if needed: I am a civil servant in France ("fonctionnaire" in the National Education service.). I have an undergraduate degree from the UK (Oxford, modern languages, finished in 1990) and a masters degree and teaching degree ("agrégation") obtained in France. (So if it is a "points" system, I would probably "pass".). My name is Penelope.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Further information: I will have a pension paid by the French government. I will probably retire in about 12 years.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Duh! I have just realised the article was about British people living elsewhere getting residency elsewhere, not in Britain! I think my dad is so old he forgot that I had got French nationality and panicked for me. (I was panicking too a few months ago about this.) But my question is null and void, I think. Goes to show how far this borders closing fear has gone - I was afraid about not being able to reside where I was born... Phew, not an issue yet, for Britons, I hope.

Further to your question, as you are a British National you do not need to do anything else and can travel freely to the UK.