Vineet S
Vineet S,
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
60556257

We both parents are German Citizens and in settled status

we both parents are German Citizens and in settled status ,now applying passport for our two months old baby , in the application it is asking to provide consent letter from us stating that we have no objection , can I simply write that we parents are applying on behalf of our baby and that will be accepted or do I have to write a consent letter ?

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Meanwhile, please ignore any phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

Hi there,

The Family Law Reform Act, defines a child as a person who has not yet reached the age of 18 years. In addition the British Nationality Act 1981 contains, for its own purposes, a definition of a minor as ‘a person who has not attained the age of 18 years’.

Passport applications that are received for children generally fall into the following categories

• Consent given by a parent

• Consent given by an adult who has been given care through the Courts

• Consent given by a local authority where the child is in their care

• Consent given by an adult who is caring for a child in the absence of anyone with parental responsibility or any Court involvement.

You being the parent have to write a consent letter in support of the passport application of your child.

You can write something like -

[Insert Home Office address where application is being sent]

[Insert date]

Dear [insert organisation name]

Letter of support for [insert name, date of birth and nationality of child applicant]

I, [insert name, date of birth and nationality] am the [father OR mother OR guardian] of [insert name of applicant]. I confirm that I support my child’s application for UK immigration permission under the [insert immigration category] category.

signing the letter

Giving your full contact details,

and Passport/ID details

I hope this helps.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

In the meantime, thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you very much can I have the link to apply ? as we both parents are German citizen with settled status in the UK

Please use the below weblink for applying for the first British passport for your child-

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-child-passport/first-child-passport

Thanks again. Best wishes.

You would have to first register the child as a British though

Before applying for a British passport for your child.

You would have to fill following form MN1 for registering your child as a British .

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/864363/form-mn1-02-2020.pdf

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
MN1 is just registering as a British child before I apply for a passport? M1 costs anything and how long this will take ?

Yes, MN1 is for registering your child as British , after that you would need to apply for a British passport.

Cost for applying is £1012, time period is 2-4 months.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you very much ,M1 does not required photograph?

No, photograph is not needed for the MN1 form.

Thank you. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
thank you very much ,Can I apply online for M1?

Use the below weblink for applying online-

https://visas-immigration.service.gov.uk/product/mn1