How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tamari SL Your Own Question
Tamari SL
Tamari SL, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 975
Experience:  LLB UK (Hons) with International Law, Foundation in the UK Law, OISC
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Tamari SL is online now

Is there anyway that a 16 year old who isn't British but has

Customer Question

Is there anyway that a 16 year old who isn't British but has been living in the UK for over 5 years apply for settlement
JA: Have they talked to a lawyer about this? What country do they live in? If different, what country does this legal question relate to?
Customer: No haven't spoken to a solicitor. Lives in the uk
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: This is my first step
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Tamari SL replied 18 days ago.

Good evening, what is the nationality of the child?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Expert:  Tamari SL replied 18 days ago.

Thank you. Which type of visa child has at present?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
She came on a visitor visa which only last 6 months
Expert:  Tamari SL replied 18 days ago.

Alright, in this case, unfortunately, applying for settlement after 5 years is not possible.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
But is there any category that she can apply to remain in this country. Cause as it stands she is basically illegal
Expert:  Tamari SL replied 18 days ago.

As I understand, you said that she has a family permit?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No I did not say that. I said she came here on a visitors visa which has ran out
Expert:  Tamari SL replied 18 days ago.

I am sorry, I considered i was replying a different question.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
is there anything she can do to remain here?
Expert:  Tamari SL replied 18 days ago.

not at his point in time, unless the child has family members (parents, siblings) in the UK who have visa?child then may apply as their dependant.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Does family members include aunts? And if she remains here for longer would she be able to apply.Basically what I wanna know is can she at any point in time be able to apply for a visa(of any sort) to remain here
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Are u still there
Expert:  Tamari SL replied 17 days ago.

Apologize for the late reply.

There is a rule where the applicant must be under the age of 18 years and must have lived continuously in the UK for at least 7 years and it should not be reasonable to expect the child to leave the UK. If your child will meets that requirement, she may apply under this route.