Lawyer21
Lawyer21, CILEx Lawyer & SRA Accredited Immigration Adviser
Experience:  CILEx Lawyer & SRA Accredited Immigration Adviser
31642296

Is there a problem if I previously filled out a spouse visa

Hi is there a problem if I previously filled out a spouse visa on the UK.gov website but never paid for it last year when i first thought my husband would have to move for a job. Now that he actually had to can I refill out the form and submit it by paying?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: Yes I have filled out the forms for the spouse visa on their website. I live in the United States and am an American citizen my husband is a british citizen
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the family visa?
Customer: no i have not i did my own research at the time
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No

Hi, Welcome to JA

I am a UK Lawyer and will be happy to assist you today

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hello thank you

If you are able to retrieve the old application form that would be fine. If not you will need to file a new application instead

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
i’d rather message here
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I mean do you think it would be an issue towards my new application? if I am not able to retrive the previous one since information like dates of intended move etc . have changed since the last time I filled it out?

You should complete a new application form and start afresh

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Also, from your knowledge what is the fastest option for people applying from the US to attain a spouse visa? As my husband is moving this week and i’d like to be able to join him as soon as possible. I know there is a 30 day option but is that from the day you submit it you should have a response in 30 days? is there anything quicker
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
if he applies for me from within the UK could it be quicker?

Fast Track option - it will give this option when you apply to enable this

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
i believe the fast track is 30 days usually? is it quicker if he applies for me at an immigration office or such from within the UK?

Makes no difference

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
from your experience does it actually take 30 days or is it sometimes less if all the documents and everything is there and correct?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.

It can take between 2-3 weeks in some cases it depends on the Covid situation and resources

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
another question if im in portugal right now with my husband and he is leaving from here te england on wed but I wasnt supposed to return to the US for another two weeks or so would it be okay if i submitted my online application while im here with him but with my address in the US? You only have to go into the actual immigration office for the biometrics once your application has been approved correct?

Yes that is correct - your husband would need to give his fingerprints

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I am the visa applicant my husband is the british citizen so wouldnt I be the one who needs to give my biometrics? but does that only happen after its been approved? or is it when you submit your application?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
i’m simply wondering of i need to rush home from lisbon inorder to submit my application or if i can submit it from here and go home in two weeks when i had intended to and by around then i should be close to recieving an answer on my application

You can file from Portugal or from US

However you must be in a position to give your fingerprints in the relevant country otherwise you should not rush the process and apply from the US

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I would be applying from the US but since im currently on vacation in portugal would it matter if i submited the form from here just to get it moving along?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
is the fingerprint part done only after approval of visa? or at the beginning of the application

At the beginning

You can file from Portugal or from US

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
in an expidited processes what are the steps after submitting the forms scanning documents and paying the nhs and application fees?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
you go in immediatly and give your biometrics? and then just wait three weeks or is there any other steps I should be aware of?

Given your situation you should apply from the US

It can take much longer than 3 weeks in some cases you should not chance this

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
should not chance what?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
where i submit the virtual form from?

Apply from the US

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
your saying there is a problem if i submit my form now while im still in portugal for another two weeks? I would be applyibg from the US just submitting it now while im here to hurry it up

If you are staying in Portugal until outcome of application you should not leave to the US, as you will need for your passport to be returned or collected. They would not be sending your passport to the US If you apply from the US you will be there and be able to complete the process. However, you can start the application but not file it, hence draft and put down the country you are applying from is the US.