How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tamari SL Your Own Question
Tamari SL
Tamari SL, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 974
Experience:  LLB UK (Hons) with International Law, Foundation in the UK Law, OISC
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Tamari SL is online now

I am currently dealing with ILR status in an expired

Customer Question

I am currently dealing with ILR status in an expired passport. Received a new part-time job for the Summer whilst Uni on break and now that HR dept says I cannot work until I get a Biometric card. I am 20 years old and have lived in Scotland with my parents since I was 4 (US citizen). Could you please advise if I am required to get the BMP? Thank you
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I was only told yesteday so I haven't filed anything. I live in Scotland and I am American.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the green card?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Tamari SL replied 17 days ago.

Good evening and welcome to JA.

Expert:  Tamari SL replied 17 days ago.

It is correct that most employers now requested a BRP card to prove your right to stay in the UK.

You will need to make an application to get an ILR in BRP format.

Expert:  Tamari SL replied 17 days ago.

You can also apply to be naturalised as British if eligible straight away without first obtaining BRP. please let me know if you have further questions and I am happy to help.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you so much for getting back to me. Just out of curiosity, would my other family members (2 parents and 2 siblings) have to do this as well? Just asking to find out for their sake. Furthermore, what would be the best way to go about transferring the ILR into BRP format? I’ve seen on the Government website how to do it via paying £230 and potentially waiting 6 months and while i’m up for doing it if need be i thought it appropriate to ask if there’s any other way of doing it.Once again, thank you for all the help
Expert:  Tamari SL replied 17 days ago.

Regarding your family members, it is always best to get ILR in BRP format as stickers in the passports are not used anymore.

Once you apply for a BRP you may request a premium service by which you will get a decision within 24 hours but you will need to pay extra fees for that.