Lawyer21
Lawyer21, CILEx Lawyer & SRA Accredited Immigration Adviser
Experience:  CILEx Lawyer & SRA Accredited Immigration Adviser
31642296

I want to know if marrying my partner via proxy in the USA

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I want to know if marrying my partner via proxy in the USA would be deemed valid and legal under uk law. My research so far seems to suggest it would be as it’s a valid marriage under USA law. My partner and I wish to marry so we can apply for a spouse visa to move her to the uk. We’ve been back and forth over the last two years and covid has made things very difficult. Now we just want to get married and move her here ASAP. Thanks.
JA: What steps have been taken? Has any paperwork been filed with the UK government?
Customer: No
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the family visa?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: We have a fiancée visa currently as she was going to come here to marry. But covid and her work made that difficult too.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Lawyer21 replied 13 days ago.

Hi, Welcome to JA

I am a UK Lawyer and will be happy to assist you today

Expert:  Lawyer21 replied 13 days ago.

You must meet your partner otherwise you will not met the requirement of having met.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
We have met many many times. I met her whilst in the states and have travelled to each other lots of times too.
Expert:  Lawyer21 replied 13 days ago.

Proxy marriage will not be accepted in accordance with English law. You should either get married in the USA or for her to come to the UK on a fiancée visa