How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SolicitorRM Your Own Question
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 5406
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
SolicitorRM is online now

I had a solicitor who committed negligence in my asylum

Customer Question

Good evening. I had a solicitor who committed negligence in my asylum paperwork. That I only learned today. Overall, the solicitor practice and service was very poor and stressful for me as a customer. What do you think I should be doing?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: Am in the process of seeking asylum for fear of persecution at home. Filed and submitted PIQ form. Am Egyptian.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about asylum?
Customer: I had a lawyer and he dropped my case today after a stressful experience. He tried to push me sign a contract that allows him charge me much higher than the fixed fee. He further made a mistake by noting a court body at Egypt which does not exist. He previously hasn't reviewed my statement properly and relied on verbal communication rather than written.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am concerned about a few aspects now. The aspect of information privacy. The aspect of mistakingly laying out information that have no grounds at the covering letter. Third is the aspect of the fee I already paid, don't think the service was worthy.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 9 days ago.

Good evening. Welcome to just answer. I am a solicitor and reviewing your question now for you.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks looking forward.
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 9 days ago.

Hi, I am sorry to hear of your situation. Any professional negligence claim has to be brought before 6 years lapse from the date when you got the  advice or their representation. If it’s breach of your data you would be looking to notify the ICO. In any event priority should be to complain formally to the solicitor and if they do not resolve to your satisfaction you will be able to escalate to the Legal Ombudsman. Any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message. All the best

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks for your answer. I did not have a client care letter signed and the lawyer decided to stop representing me on this basis, despite the fact that he was the one decided to leave the letter for later upon negotiation. Do you think the procedure to complain will be the identical or instead can report to SRA directly? A second question is if I can look for a solicitor who works on no win no fee basis or a criminal law solicitor?
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 9 days ago.

Hi, each firm will have their complaints procedure they are not all the same, so they should be able to give you that it is not necessarily included in the client care letter. Complaints against solicitors are dealt with by the legal ombudsman not SRA.

to pursue the solicitor you will not need a criminal lawyer.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
One more question, how do you think I can get a privacy policy and commitment to remove my file within a certain timeline in my case? I have no rigid evidence of leaking info, however I suspect that and want to legally bind him and any others from leaking info might be harmful to others at home.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi is it possible to check my last question please?
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 9 days ago.

Good morning. Thank you for your message. Solicitors have a legal obligation to retain and archive files for 6 years. If the point is that you did not retain them and they do not dispute it and there are no outstanding fees then you can just write to them to say you are exercising your right to be forgotten and want your information deleted. All the best

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Perfect thanks
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 9 days ago.

You are welcome