How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tamari SL Your Own Question
Tamari SL
Tamari SL, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 974
Experience:  LLB UK (Hons) with International Law, Foundation in the UK Law, OISC
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Tamari SL is online now

I was wondering what my girlfriend needs to do to try and

This answer was rated:

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I was wondering what my girlfriend needs to do to try and come and live in the uk. It's hard for her to find a job that will be able to sponsor her. I understand we could put on her visa that she is with me and there for I am able to pay for her if need be
JA: What steps has your girlfriend taken? Has she filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country does your girlfriend live in? If different, what is her citizenship?
Customer: She is French and we haven't done any papers as of yet
JA: Has your girlfriend talked to a lawyer about the visa?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Other then I can support her in the country. The work she does isn't really skilled work as well so I don't know how this will work

Good afternoon and welcome to JA. First of all, may I ask what is your nationality or immigration status in the UK?

Tamari SL and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I am English and was born in the uk
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I would actually prefer to keep messaging if it is cheaper?

Sure, I am sorry I was assisting another customer.

In this case, if you are going to get married you may invite your girlfriend to the UK as your spouse. Is this something you are considering?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
We would prefer if there is a way for her so come with out a civil partnership or marriage

Allright, are you aware of the requirement for the spouse visa?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.

If you would like to live in the UK with your partner on a long-term basis, this post will help you to identify the main requirements which must be satisfied under the UK Immigration rules to obtain a spouse visa where applicable.
For the UK spouse visa, both partners must be 18 years old or over, as well as a sponsoring spouse, must be either:
British Citizen (Relevant here)

You have to prove that either you are married and this marriage is recognizable in the UK or you are living together in a relationship for at least two years when you apply.

Under the minimum income requirement: a partner (sponsor) of the applicant must prove that he has an income of £18,600 in a year where no dependants are applying with the applicant. Required fees increase if dependants involved are not British. Income only can be combined if the application is made inside the UK but not for entry clearance applications. Savings also may be used instead of regular income: if you have savings of £62.500, the financial requirement can be satisfied. Besides, there is no need to show any other income. Although, it is important to note that exactly what documents are required and how this financial requirement can be satisfied depends on how you get your income.

It is also crucial to discuss the accommodation requirement which must be satisfied under this visa category. Usually, the following documents are required:
A description of the property where you intend to live with
your spouse
Proof that there are enough rooms in the property to
accommodate everyone and that it will not be overcrowded
English Language certificate also must be provided (unless an exemption applies) with the application at a Level A1. If you are submitting an application from inside the UK to extend your spouse visa, a Level A2 certificate is required. There are other ways of meeting the English Language requirement, for example, your qualification is from a university or college outside the UK, you will need to provide a certificate from UK NARIC to show that your diploma is equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree or higher and that it was taught in the English Language.

You also need to have a tuberculosis test done for a UK spouse visa if you are a national of the listed countries which can be found on the UK Government website.

Spouse visa processing time is usually 12 weeks if submitted from outside the UK. There are paid premium services available which will decrease the waiting time to get a decision.

When successful, a spouse visa will be granted for 33 months initially it then can be extended for another 30 months. After spending a total of 60 months on a spouse visa, an applicant can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK to settle permanently if eligible. After obtaining Indefinite Leave to Remain one can apply for Naturalisation as a British Citizen.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I am English and a UK citizen. Also I did say that I don't want the civil partnership or marriage. I want information on what I need for a visa for her to work. Myself, I earn £25000 a year so I can support both of us but I need to know what I need/ can do
I understand, I must have misread your response. The only other way is to apply for a skilled worker visa which you have said may not be an option at present.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I thought so. But can i still support her with my wage if she doest earn enough money? That is if we get this skilled visa?
Unfortunately it will not be acceptable for the visa.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
But if we do the civil partnership or marriage she will be able to work in the you and live?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Sorry "in the uk" not in the you
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Sorry but they have taken the money from my account for the call?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Anyway. Thank you for your time and help. If there is anything else that you know that might be of help can you let me know

If you will get married or form a civil partnership and she gets a spouse visa then she will be able to work and live in the UK.

You can call Just answer customer service s and request a refund for the call as you did not wish to proceed with the call. They will refund your fees back.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok thank you for your help

You are welcome.