How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Law Your Own Question
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 15909
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
INC Law is online now

Had a question regarding UK visas. I am a british citizen

This answer was rated:

Had a question regarding UK visas. I am a british citizen and im engaged with my girlfriend which has greek nationality. We want to move to the UK and she wants to study there with a student loan. How should we approach this?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I live in the UK, but currently in Greece. We have only made a uni application and started the EU settlement process.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not sure
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
We have been in a relationship for 10 months now and during the EU settlement application we need to prove our relationship for the past two years. So I am not sure how to overcome this. I have also spoken to Student Finance England and they confirmed she would be eligible for funding if we get married before her course starts.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I also just graduated from my uni course and will start working this September making £40.000 per annum. Not sure what other information you require. For anything else please don't hesitate to contact me.


Thank you for your query. I am a Solicitor-Advocate in the UK and will be assisting you with your question today.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hello,Thank you for the prompt reply. Looking forward to seeing what options are available for us.

EU students who have started or are due to start at a university or further education institution by 31 July 2021 have ‘home fee status’ in the UK. This means they pay the same tuition fees as students from the part of the UK where their university is located (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales). If they study in Scotland as an undergraduate, their tuition fees are paid by Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS). EU students who have started or will start studies in the rest of the UK as an undergraduate by 31 July 2021 can apply for a student loan from the relevant student funding body to cover any tuition fees.

If this applies to your GF, she will continue to be eligible for ‘home fee status’ – in other words, she will be charged the same tuition fees as UK students, and she can still apply for a student loan in England, Northern Ireland or Wales, or have her fees paid by SAAS if you are studying as an undergraduate in Scotland.

This status is guaranteed for the duration of studies.

EU students and students from the EEA-EFTA or Switzerland who start a new course in England, Scotland or Wales after August 2021 will no longer be eligible for home fee status. Instead, each UK university will set its own fees for EU students.  Northern Ireland will announce arrangements in due course. If you’re thinking of starting a course in the UK from August 2021 onwards, you will need check with the university you are applying to for more information about fees they will charge.

If she plans to after 1 January 2021, she will need to apply for a student visa if she are studying a course which is longer than six months in length.

She will need to complete an application and have it accepted before she arrives in the UK.

She will need to pay an application fee (£348 for students) and have a current passport or other valid travel document.

Most people will be able to complete their application, including identity verification, using a smartphone app. If you can’t access the smartphone app or you don’t have a biometric passport, you may need to go to a Visa Application Centre in your country.

You will also need to pay a fee called an Immigration Health Surcharge. This gives you access to the UK’s National Health Service. Students receive a 25 per cent discount on the usual cost of this surcharge - so the rate for student visa holders is £470 per year. However, full-time students in UK higher education holding a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) issued by an EU member state can claim a refund of the immigration health surcharge payment. More information and full criteria are on the GOV.UK information page.

She can apply for a student visa up to six months before your course starts.

I hope this answers your question. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

many thanks,

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The courses we have been looking at all start during September 2021. So based on your answer, her fees would be set by her uni, but she could still get funding, right? In addition, when we get married, wouldn't that grant her permission to come to the UK? Or do we need to apply for a spouse visa?


Yes, that is correct and she would have to apply for a Spouse Visa if you marry.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you for your answer. What does the process for a spouse visa entail? Is there any chance her application could get rejected due to our relationship being less than two years?Furthermore, if we complete her student finance application and spouse visa, do we also need the EU settlement process completed?


The main requirement is that you are married and earning an income of at least 18,600.00 and can maintain and accomodate your spouse without recourse to public funds.

The 2 year provision does not apply if married.  This only applies to unmarried partners.

If you have nay further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Finally, I would be grateful if you could leave a review for me on TrustPilot.

Many thanks,

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I see. So we would be completely covered to move to the UK and for her to get funding for her studies if we complete the student finance application and spouse visa, is this correct? Also, I will start working in a large tech company as a network engineer. Will my contract suffice for the spouse visa application, or will I have to provide payslips from the past 6 months? I am asking because I haven't started working yet, and if the payslips are required our application would be delayed for 6 months.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I will leave gladly leave an amazing review! You have been extremely helpful and patient with my questions. I highly appreciate your time.


You will need to provide payslips for the last 6 months.

Hence, if she is looking to come to the UK before September, I would suggest she apply on the basis of a student. You could always marry once she is in the UK as a student.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Okay so we will start our student finance and student visa applications to move to the UK prior to September, and later apply for a spouse visa. Do we still need to complete the EU settlement process? We were advised to look into this by her Uni.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Also, would she be eligible for funding via her student visa, without us getting married first?

I am unsure about the funding and you would need to check with the University.

You can still apply for EU Settlement Scheme as this is a separate category

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I see. Would you recommend we apply for the EU Settlement Scheme as well?

I cannot see it dong any harm

INC Law and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you for your replies. Based on the information you provided we are going to be doing the following:Student Finance Application
Student Visa
EU Settlement SchemeAnd hopefully we have no issues. I greatly appreciate your time and answers. Will leave an amazing review. Thanks again.

It is a pleasure.

Good luck!