Tamari SL
Tamari SL, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  LLB UK (Hons) with International Law, Foundation in the UK Law, OISC
105993163

Can i still get my citizenship here if I am on a student

can i still get my citizenship here if I am on a student visa and I am a U.S citizen

Good afternoon, please clarify your question and I will try to help.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
i am currently an international student studying here in London and I have a student visa. I am from new york to be more specific. i was wondering if I would be able to apply for my citizenship here if I stay here for 4 or 5 years

In order to apply for UK Citizenship, you need to obtain ILR first.

You can not obtain ILR based on a student visa after 5 years, this only can be done if you have been 10 years legally in this case in the UK, just as an example.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
the 5 years of me staying here on a student visa wouldn't couldn't towards getting IRL which would mean I would have to stay here longer

5 years staying on a student visa counts towards 10 years long residence after which you may apply for ILR but only 5 years of student visa does not give you any right to ILR unfortunately.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
ok thank you