UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I have been informed that after getting a settled status as

Hello,I have been informed that after getting a settled status as an EU citizen in the UK, we need to usually live 12 months in the UK in order to apply for British citizenship.I have also been informed that we can spend up to 5 years in a row outside the UK after receiving the settled status without losing our status.In case one leaves UK right after she receives a settled status, and comes back to the UK five years later with regular visits to the UK during these five years, can she still apply for the British citizenship as long as she settles and lives in the UK for 12 months following 5 years abroad but always with the settled status.Thank you very much in advance for your response,Looking forward to hearing from you,Kind regards,Emel

Hello Emel,

I am afraid not, in that case, the person would need to live in the UK for another 5 years before they would qualify for British Citizenship.

It is therefore advisable that the person continues living in the UK after receiving settlement, obtains British Citizenship and then moves abroad if they so wish.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hello, thank you very much, but the person will still have the settled status during these five years and when she comes back. Why would they live another 5 years for citizenship then? On what basis? Thank you

Because the rules for Citizenship and different from the rules for Settlement: https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-indefinite-leave-to-remain

All the best