How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2663
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

I'm applying for UK citizenship and looking for my referees.

This answer was rated:

Hi, I'm applying for UK citizenship and looking for my referees. I know someone who is a physiotherapist, but this occupation is not on the list in the guidebook. Can she still be a good first referee?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I started to fill in the application, but not submitted it yet. I live in the UK. I am a Hungarian citizen.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the citizenship application?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have another question. I first entered the UK in 2005 November, but I don't remember the exact day. Can my application be refused because of this?

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Meanwhile, please ignore any phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks Vineet, I'm looking forward to your answer.

Hi there,

For referee for citizenship form, you have to get one professional referee, (who can be of any nationality) and one British referee , ( who can be unemployed at the moment)

Following are the acceptable professional persons, who can act as your professional referee , provided they know you for 3 or more years

  • accountant

  • airline pilot

  • articled clerk of a limited company

  • assurance agent of recognised company

  • bank or building society official

  • barrister

  • British Computer Society (BCS) - professional grades which are Associate (AMBCS), Member (MBCS), Fellow (FBCS)

  • broker

  • chairman or director of limited company

  • chemist

  • chiropodist

  • Christian science practitioner

  • commissioner for oaths

  • councillor: local or county

  • civil servant (permanent)

  • dentist

  • designated premises supervisors

  • director or Manager of a VAT registered charity

  • director, manager or personnel officer of a VAT registered company

  • driving instructor (approved)

  • engineer (with professional qualifications)

  • fire service official

  • funeral director

  • insurance agent (full time) of a recognised company

  • journalist

  • justice of the Peace

  • legal secretary (members and fellows of the Institute of legal secretaries)

  • local government officer

  • manager or Personnel officer (of limited company)

  • member of Parliament

  • member of Her Majesty’s Armed Forces

  • Merchant Navy officer

  • minister of a recognised religion

  • nurse (RN, SEN or holder of a BA in nursing)

  • officer of the armed services (active or retired)

  • optician

  • paralegal (certified or qualified paralegals, and associate members of the Institute of Paralegals)

  • person with honours (such as OBE, MBE and so on)

  • personal licensee holders

  • photographer (professional)

  • police officer

  • Post Office official

  • president or secretary of a recognised organisation

  • Salvation Army officer

  • social worker

  • solicitor

  • surveyor

  • teacher, lecturer

  • trade union officer

  • travel agency (qualified)

  • valuers and auctioneers (fellow and associate members of the incorporated society)

  • warrant officers and chief petty officers

You can give tentative date , however caseworker will check if you were in the UK 5 years prior to your citizenship application.

You can get this information from the Home office by making a SAR .

Use this form to request a copy of your personal information from the Home Office's immigration records (this is also known as a 'subject access request'). HYPERLINK ""2.73264083.1504546756.1589794651-1206934581.1577187695

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I know a person who is a wedding photographer, but he is not registered in any organisation. Would that be OK?

If he a professional photographer , then yes, he can be your referee.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Giving a tentative date for 2005 is probably fine then, I have a good memory I'm just not sure of the exact day I arrived.

You better off be giving a later date than a earlier tentative date .

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I have already made a SAR but I realised I need a solicitor to sign my passport copy, and also that I would need to wait for about a month. If I can give a tentative date, then I think I don't need this service. Can I cancel an application? I have not sent my paperwork yet.

If you have not uploaded documentation and the application has not been processed then you might be able to cancel it.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Can it hurt if I don't cancel it?

No, it would not have any ill effect.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Nice. Thanks. Just one more thing for today
My ex-employer has a new address because they moved, and it is different from what is on my p60. Which address should I provide on the form?

You need to provide the new address of your employer.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
The same area, my current employer has a different address on the website than on the recent P60. Which one should I give?

It can be different as on P60 , might be their registered address and on their website they might be mentioning their trading address ( place of work).

You need to provide the trading address, where your employer can be contacted at.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Perfect, thanks!

You are welcome.

Thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Is it true that I need to provide all payslips and bank statements, or can I get a summary from HMRC as I have done for my residency? I have been constantly employed and rented the same flat, is it enough for proof of residence?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Sorry, just remembered this one...

You can get summary from HMRC , and provide your P60S.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
nothing else?

For your employment

For your residence , you need to provide proof of your address.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
what that could be?

Your utility bills, Bank statements, etc.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
OK. For 5 years or just a current one?

5 yrs.

Vineet S and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
OK, thanks! Have a nice day. :)