How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawyerAk Your Own Question
LawyerAk, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2159
Experience:  Expert in Immigration and family law
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
LawyerAk is online now

I stayed with my boyfriend during lockdown from March last

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I stayed with my boyfriend during lockdown from March last year. 2 months later, we moved into a flat together (both names on the lease). I wondered whether I could apply for a (non marriage) visa in March next year or would we have to wait until the May when we moved in together I can provide many photos, affidavits, shared costs (food, etc) but no official documents like bills or tenancy agreements before May
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: Currently on tier 2 which expires in April I live in UK I am Australian
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?
Customer: no, I was hoping to get general advice as to whether it’s possible or whether this won’t be sufficient and we would need to marry
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: (for partner visa)
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  LawyerAk replied 15 days ago.

Good afternoon, I am Lawyer Ak and I will be assisting you today.

Expert:  LawyerAk replied 15 days ago.

As March next year will make it 2 years then you will be able to apply on the basis of unmarried partner. This will need to be done before expiry of tier 2 in April. You must be able to provide 6 documents in your name and 6 in partners such as the lease, bills, council tax, bank statements.

Expert:  LawyerAk replied 15 days ago.

Your British partner must meet the financial requirement of £18,600 per annum from employment.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
But if I do not have 6 documents, I cannot apply? I was staying with him but I was not officially registered at his address…
Expert:  LawyerAk replied 15 days ago.

You would need to show at least 6 documents as an unseeded partner you can be refused if the documents are not sufficient.