frantzgregory
frantzgregory, Solicitor
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
80411141

I have a question regarding adoption and automatic

Customer Question

Hello, I have a question regarding adoption and automatic citizenship acquisition?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: Nothing yet, I'm an Australian Citizen
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
My Father adopted me, he's from the UK - was born there
My mother was born in Australia
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 19 days ago.

Hello, thank you for contacting JustAnswer. I will be assisting you with your question.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Hello! Nice to e-meet you :)

Hello it's nice to e-meet you too.

what is your questions about adoption and automatic citizenship applications?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
How do I make the application? I've looked on gov.uk and it's all a bit unclear

Ok which specific application are you try make and what part of the gov.uk website is causing the issue?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I went to make a normal citizenship application, and when I entered in my Father's details the form said I "may not need to fill out this application" and when I checked the site it says adoption means you are automatically a citizen - I am keen to get a british passport so I can look to move to the UK in the next year or so, so am just wondering how I go about doing this - Is there a way for me to request a British Citizenship certificate - or can I just apply for a passport using my Father's birth certificate and adoption evidence?

what is title of the application you started making? Also when where you born?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Apply to register as a British citizen:
Form UKF
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
1996

Were your parents married either when you were born or when your adoption was completed?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
when my adoption was completed they were married
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 18 days ago.

I apologize for the delay in my response. JustAnswer has been experiencing technical difficulties.

The UK automatically recognises adoptions from Australia completed before 3rd Jan 2014. The adoption allows British Citizens to automatically transfer their citizenship to their adopted children. From the information you have given me it appears your adoption fits into this category. Therefore, it appears you have gained citizenship automatically. This means you should apply for your first British passport and provide the Home Office with relevant documents including your adoption documents.

I hope this response has helped. My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, you can ask another question on the site. It has been my pleasure to assist you.