UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I am a student in the uk since September 2018 however I had

Customer Question

I am a student in the uk since September 2018 however I had only stayed there for about 3 months of 2018 and went back home to my country in Oman then came back again in January 2019. Stayed up to April and left again rejoined uni back in September 2019 and left in December 2019 and then went back home to my country. Then came back again in jan 2020 stayed up to March 16th 2020 left back to my country due to COVID. So basically what I wanted to ask was after that I stayed in my country for about 1 and a half years and came back in august 8th this year therefore wanted to know if I could use my international drivers license or my international drivers permit to drive for the next 12 months as my international drivers permit is valid up to July 2020. The insurance told me it is okay to do so however dvla couldn’t answer my question precisely.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 11 days ago.

I am a solicitor.

You say that your international driving licence is valid until July 2020? Is that a mistake?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
My international license is valid until 2022 July

In that case, you are fine to use it for 12 months from August 2021 as your insurers in the UK have advised.

All the best

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
however will i be able to claim insurance later on? It’s just that later on they might say no you’ve been a resident since 2018 and you are legally not allowed to drive therefore I wanted to know if it is legal for me to drive in my international drivers permit till that expiry date AND will it be fine for me to drive while I am holding a provisional license as well.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
For the 12 months

The rules state that you are permitted to drive for up to 12 months from when you became resident.

You were not continuously resident in the UK since 2018.

The main thing is that you are insured in the UK and you should declare to your insurers that you also hold a UK provisional licence.

All the best