UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

This is completely and utterly new to me but I have been

Customer Question

Hello. This is completely and utterly new to me but I have been considering moving to the UK in the past few months but I have no idea where to start or what that process even looks like. My attempts to find a guide online just keep coming up with bullet points generalized notes with very little explination.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I am a citizen of the United States currently residing in Arizona. I have not filed any paperwork. Not even sure where that starts either.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: Nope
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 18 days ago.

I am a UK solicitor.

What would you wish to do in the UK and how long do you intend to be in the UK for?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
My goal would be to permanently relocate. As for my profession, I am a screenwriter. I am currently having a short film produced in the UK in the next year or two and if it goes well, I would like to continue my film career in the UK. I am not associated or working for a film company. This is presently being done on my own time and paid for out of pocket.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 17 days ago.

I am afraid I do not see a relevant category for a UK work visa for someone like you who wishes to come to the UK indefinitely to work as a screenwriter/creative field.

You would require sponsorship by a UK employer in order for you to be eligible for a UK work visa.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Is there any criteria I can meet that would not require a sponsorship? And while we are on that note, what or how does this sponsorship work?

I am afraid you would need a UK employer to sponsor you unless you have a UK family member eligible to sponsor you e.g a partner.

If you have £2m or equivalent, you may apply for an investor visa which does not require any sponsorship: https://www.gov.uk/tier-1-investor

All the best