Tamari SL
Tamari SL, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  LLB UK (Hons) with International Law, Foundation in the UK Law, OISC
105993163

I need advice about my family permit visa, im in the uk now,

Customer Question

i need advice about my family permit visa
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: im in the uk now, but i have a family permit visa (surindah sing route) on my australian passport. I also have a german passport, which is what im here on at the moment.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i have a family permit visa (surindah sing route) on my australian passport. I also have a german passport, which is what im here on at the moment.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I entered the uk on my german passport in march. I was waiting for my family permit visa on my australian passort to be approved. It took 5 months instead of 1. I have over stayed on my German passport whilst i was waiting for my visa to be approved and for them to send me back my australian passport to be returned tome.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Tamari SL replied 15 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, I will be assisting with your question today. Please bear with me if I need to ask you some clarifying questions. Thank you!

Expert:  Tamari SL replied 15 days ago.

As I understand from the information stated above, you already have a visa in your passport, do you?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
my problem is that i dont know if i need to leave the uk and come back in again on my australian passport that has the visa in to activate it? As ive been here on my german passport.
Expert:  Tamari SL replied 15 days ago.

Did you get a family permit from outside the UK?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have finally been approved for my family permit. My husband and daughter are british. I had to come to England before it was approved because my husband is running a business here. So i entered on my German passport. But because i didnt enter on my australian passport with the visa in it. There is no record that im here on my Australian passport.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
After the family permit is expired, ill be applying for pre settled status. So i dont know if i need to show that ive been in the uk on the australian passport with the visa in it to be able to apply for the next step
Expert:  Tamari SL replied 15 days ago.

I see, now the thing is that there is no such a thing as activating your visa but in the future, if you apply for settlement, etc this whole thing may produce confusion.

If it is possible, I would leave the country and enter the UK with my family permit Australian passport.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
ok, the only thing is that i will be spending the winter in Spain. Im due to leave to go back to spain mid october and wont be back in England again until April next year, by which my visa will be expired. So if i leave the uk and return again on my australian passport with the visa, i will only be here for a few weeks, a month maximum. Is it still worth doing?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Because it took so long to process the visa, the timing is all out. they said it would only take a month and it took 5. I was supposed to have it for when my husband and i were running our business over here for the summer, so i could work for the business.
Expert:  Tamari SL replied 15 days ago.

It is very important to enter the UK with your family permit and apply for pre-settled status as soon as possible. You do not want to lose the status.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
ok, i read that you had up to 3 months to apply for pre settled status after the visa had expired. So was planning to apply when we arrive next year in april.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
do you think i shlould apply for pre settled status before it expires?
Expert:  Tamari SL replied 15 days ago.

This is not correct after the visa is expired you will lose your status.

Expert:  Tamari SL replied 15 days ago.

You usually need to apply within 3 months of arriving in the UK or before your family permit expires.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
your right. ive just re read the government site. ill have to leave and come back and apply asap
Expert:  Tamari SL replied 15 days ago.

I hope I have helped! Thank you

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
can i ask you about pre settled status?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
once ive applied for that, can i leave the uk?
Expert:  Tamari SL replied 15 days ago.

You have to wait for the deicision.

Expert:  Tamari SL replied 15 days ago.

When you apply, you can call the settlements team, and once you have your case in the system, you can ask them if you can leave while waiting for the decision.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
ok.
Expert:  Tamari SL replied 15 days ago.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
thank you
Expert:  Tamari SL replied 15 days ago.