Lawyer21
Lawyer21, CILEx Lawyer & SRA Accredited Immigration Adviser
Experience:  CILEx Lawyer & SRA Accredited Immigration Adviser
31642296

I need some advise regarding immigration status change for

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I need some advise regarding immigration status change for dependent visa holders after a Divorce
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I have not done any paperwork. I live in the UK. I am Indian
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: That is all
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I just have ONE BIG QUESTION, I read a lot of documentation and I could not find a clear answer anywhere
Here is my Question.
I am on a dependent visa in the UK. Me and my partner have mutually agreed to get a divorce sometime next year. I know the divorce procedure has 3 steps (1) petition (2) Decree Nissee (3) Decree Absolute. At point in this procedure do I absolutely need to inform the Home Office about my Divorce? I am employed in the UK and I know that a divorce with affect my VISA and I will need to leave the country. And when I inform the Home Office they will give me a 60 day period to pack my bags and leave. So I need to understand at what stage in my divorce procedure I need to tell them?
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Just drop me an email if you can answer my question. A phone call may not be necessary unless you want to discuss in detail
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Here is my Question.
I am on a dependent visa in the UK. Me and my partner have mutually agreed to get a divorce sometime next year. I know the divorce procedure has 3 steps (1) petition (2) Decree Nissee (3) Decree Absolute. At WHAT point in this procedure do I absolutely need to inform the Home Office about my Divorce? I am employed in the UK and I know that a divorce will affect my VISA situation and I will need to leave the country. And when I inform the Home Office they will give me a 60 day period to pack my bags and leave. So I need to understand at what stage in my divorce procedure I need to tell them? Whats the maximum time I can wait until I tell them so that I can get time to find a new job that will sponsor a new Visa for me

Hi, Welcome to JA

If you are on a dependant visa and are separated and there is no hope of reconciliation even via mediation, you need to notify the Home Office regarding the change of circumstances.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I already know that I need to inform the Home Office. But that is not my question. My question is WHEN?
There are 3 stages in Divorce procedure (1) Stage 1 - Initial Petition (2)Stage 2 - Decree Nisee (3) Decree Absolute. I know that I need to tell home office before stage 3 - Decree Absolute. But MY QUESTION IS, Can I wait until Stage 2 - Decree Nisee and then inform them before I file for Decree Absolute???

Stage 1, you cannot wait until stage 2

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Ok thank you. So if I am trying to buy some more time, I assume I can complete Stage 1 (Filing initial petition) and then inform the Home Office before I apply for Decree Nisi?

The onus is upon the applicant - in this case on yourself to notify of the change of circumstance