How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 3482
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

I want to move to the UK but cannot find an appropriate visa

This answer was rated:

I want to move to the UK but cannot find an appropriate visa to apply for. I don't know what to do next.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I live in the US and am a US citizen. I've been to England several times on a visitor's visa but would like to consider long term residency. I am employed in an online situation and would not need a job, just the right to remain longer than 6 months.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?
Customer: No, I've read the UK immigration pages pretty thoroughly and nothing quite applies to my situation. There used to be a retiree's visa but that seems to have gone away.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am 65 year old female, a university professor, and will bring my online job with me, I am within 5 years of retirement here but want to live in England where I can enjoy pursuing my academic specialty in Shakespeare. I had begun volunteering at Shakespeare's Schoolhouse in Stratford-Upon-Avon just as the pandemic struck and would be interested in doing so again as well as volunteering with the Churches Conservation Trust.

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Will you be answering my question today or just welcoming me to the site?

Thank you for the question.  If you cannot find a visa that allows your to simply immigrate to the UK, then you can look at attending the country on a visitor visa, you can get these for prolonged lengths of time.  Once you have been in the Uk continuously without being resident in another country for a period fo 450 days, you can look at changing your status.  Again, depending on your personal situation, there may be different routes to go about this, but you can come for 6 months without a visa in the first instance, depending on what you are doing in terms of study etc with your interests it may be possible to look at sponsorship from the UK.  If you are finding, as you say, that your position is quite unique and nothing seems to apply to your personal circumstances, I would advise speaking with the UK home office, they are the governing body who would be able to give you specifics about your own situation.  Given the vast costs, I would not look at instructing an immigration lawyer unless you feel it is absolutely necessary.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area.  This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
All good info. Just one question. I was not aware that I could come on a visitor's visa and stay beyond the 6 month limit. Would I need to apply for an extension with the Home Office while I am still there and hope they would grant me one? Is that kind of thing routinely done?

If you are here on a visitor visa, you can extend it when it is still in effect, or even if you are still on a visitor visa you can apply for a different type of visa whist still here as a visitor.

RJM Law and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you for your help.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
New question. Where can I find this information written down so that I can copy it and keep in my files for my upcoming attempt to relocate?

You will be bale to find all relevant infornation on the .gov website for immigration.