Tamari SL
Tamari SL, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  LLB UK (Hons) with International Law, Foundation in the UK Law, OISC
105993163

I have friend who wants to apply for British citizen. He is

Customer Question

Hi again,
I have friend who wants to apply for British citizen. He is also Afghani, came here as he finished working with British army as interpreter in 2014. He has settled status indefinite leave to remain.
Does he still need to do test for English or life in UK? He thinks he is exempt because of how he came here
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Tamari SL replied 11 days ago.

Good afternoon, with regards ***** ***** Life in the UK test please refer below:

The Immigration Rules set out the following exemptions:

(a) the applicant is under 18 years of age at the date of his or her application, or

(b) the applicant is at least 65 years of age at the date of his or her application, or

(c) in all the circumstances of the case, the decision maker considers that, because of the applicant’s mental or physical condition, it would be unreasonable to expect the applicant to fulfil either or both parts of that requirement.

With regards ***** ***** English Language requirement when applying for Naturalisaton as British:

There are many exemptions to the English Language Test requirement.

Only applicants above the age of 18 and under the age of 65 are subject to testing.

If an applicant has a degree, masters or PhD taught or researched in English, this will usually exclude them from the requirement.

Nationals from listed countries that predominantly speak English are also exempt. These include:

• Antigua and Barbuda
  • Australia
  • The Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Canada
  • Dominica
  • Grenada
  • Guyana
  • Jamaica
  • New Zealand
  • Republic of Ireland (for citizenship only)
  • St Kitts and Nevis
  • St Lucia
  • St Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Trinidad and Tobago, and
  • USA

If an applicant can supply a doctor’s letter confirming that the person has a long-term, physical or mental condition that prevents them from taking the test they will also be exempt.

Expert:  Tamari SL replied 11 days ago.

Hope it helps! Please let me know if you have further questions. Thank you