Vineet S
Vineet S,
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
60556257

As an EU national living in the UK under the new EU

As an EU national living in the UK under the new EU Settlement Scheme, is there a limit to the number of days I can be out of the country per 12 month rolling period?

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

If a phone call is not required then please ignore phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Many thanks.

Hi there,

A person with pre-Settled Status must be continuously resident in the UK for a 5-year period to be eligible for Settled Status. This means that within the 5-year qualifying period for Settled Status you must have been resident in the UK for at least 6 months in every 12-month rolling period.

So, you can be outside of the UK for a max period of 6 months in a 12 months rolling period.

One longer single absence of up to 12 months is permitted, but only for an important reason. Important reasons are listed as pregnancy, childbirth, serious illness, study, vocational training or an overseas posting or, in some cases due to the global pandemic. When you apply for Settled Status the Home Office will ask to see documentary evidence to support your reason for having an absence of up to 12 months for an important reason. It is not enough to explain the important reason, your documentary evidence must support it. For example, your medical records/GP statement .

I trust this helps.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Very well explained thanks.

My pleasure. Have a good day.