How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tamari SL Your Own Question
Tamari SL
Tamari SL, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 1048
Experience:  LLB UK (Hons) with International Law, Foundation in the UK Law, OISC
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Tamari SL is online now

My wife is Finnish, can we apply for a family visa while in

This answer was rated:

I am British, my wife is Finnish, can we apply for a family visa while in the UK?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: None. No, Was South Africa, on our way to UK. Mine British, Wife Finnish
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the family visa?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No

Welcome to Just Answer, I will be assisting with your question today. Thank you!

As a Finnish Citizen, your wife does not require a visa to enter the UK and stay here up to 6 months but to apply for the spouse visa, she must apply from outside the UK, an applicant can not switch to a spouse visa while in the UK as a visitor.

Customer: replied 7 days ago. is confusing. Can she visit the UK on a visit visa once we have applied, outside the UK, for the family visa?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Was that it? I get one answer?

Preferably not, she needs to wait for the decision and come to the UK once the decision is made

Please do let me know if you have further questions

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Why is there a price to apply in the UK if you're not allowed to?

An applicant can apply inside the UK but someone who is in the UK as a visitor can not switch to a spouse visa.

I hope it answers all your questions, please let me know if you have further questions and I am happy to help. Thank you

Tamari SL and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you