How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tamari SL Your Own Question
Tamari SL
Tamari SL, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 1050
Experience:  LLB UK (Hons) with International Law, Foundation in the UK Law, OISC
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Tamari SL is online now

I am a swiss citizen wanting to enter into a civil

This answer was rated:

I am a swiss citizen wanting to enter into a civil partnership with my UK boyfriend. I arrived in the UK on the 19th June and am worried that I will have to leave in December if I do not get this sorted out by then. I missed the Dec 2020 deadline doe to Coronavirus as I was resident in South Africa. and could not fly out.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I am currently residing in the UK with my boyfriend's family. I am a Swiss and South African citizen. I have not filed any paperwork with the UK government yet.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: Not yet. I am just doing research although my boyfriend's family do know an immigration lawyer who may be able to help.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No, that is everything. Do I have to pay for this service?

Welcome to Just Answer, I will be assisting with your question today. Please bear with me if I need to ask you some clarifying questions. Thank you!

Can I confirm if your boyfriend is a British Citizen?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
he is a British citizen

Allright, in that case, if you missed the opportunity to apply and get pre-settled status in the UK, once you will enter into a civil partnership with your boyfriend, you may apply for the UK spouse visa, but for this, you will be required to leave the country and apply from outside the UK from your main residence country.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Okay, from what I understand and what I've been told by my registry office is that I need to have a visa in order to apply for the civil partnership. What I was wondering is if I can apply for the marriage visitor visa and then apply for a family visa after that?

I see, but one of the eligibility requirements for the marriage visitor visa is that you’re not planning to stay or settle in the UK after your marriage or civil partnership

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I am aware of this, I wanted to know if I can do this but if not, do you have a suggestion on a better option?

If you are planning to stay in the UK after a civil partnership you are not eligible for the marriage visitor visa.

The option you have is suggested above but if you can not register your civil partnership due to lack of a relevant visa at present, you may apply for the fiancee visa first from outside the UK and once you are here and register your civil partnership, you can switch to the spouse visa.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
How do I go about doing this?

1) You leave the UK, apply for the fiance visa, once it is granted, you come to the UK register your civil partnership within 6 months

2) Apply for spouse visa from inside the UK

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Okay thank you, ***** ***** have to apply for the fiancé visa in South Africa or can I apply from any country?

As you have stated you are a Swiss Citizen, you can apply from there too.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
How long does the application process take for the fiancé visa and how much does it cost?

It costs around £1523 and can take up to 12 weeks decision to be made.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
In your opinion, would it be easier for me and my partner to get married?

the process above will be the same but if you will marry or register the civil partnership outside the UK, it will be easier, in the sense that you will apply for the spouse visa straight away from outside the UK.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** also like to know, if I moved to the republic of Ireland and lived there, can I apply for the fiancé visa there or does it have to be applied for in either South Africa or Switzerland?

You have to apply either from your country of nationality or where is your main residence is.

Hope it helps! Thank you

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
How long would I have to live in Ireland to make that my main residence?

it is not only about how long you have to live there it is about if your life is based there.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I am an online English teacher, so my job can be from anywhere. If I moved to Ireland and rented an apartment, would that constitute as having a life based there?

You have to be there a minimum of 6 months or more as I see. Then it depends on the Home Office caseworker if he/she considers Ireland as your main residence.

Tamari SL and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you very much for all of your help. I appreciate it greatly