Immigration Warrior
Immigration Warrior, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Immigration Consultant/Supervisor at Chatham Chambers solicitors
106663647

I'm a US citizen who is supposed to start their university

Customer Question

Hi, I'm a US citizen who is supposed to start their university course in a week in the UK. In order to apply for the tier 4 visa, I need to have a CAS letter from the university. The CAS letter they sent me had an incorrect passport number. Therefore, I asked the university to change the incorrect information. It has been over 2 weeks of me contacting them almost daily and so far I got nothing. This is stopping me from applying for the student visa, which means I will miss out on starting my course on campus. Moreover, I was wondering that if in the worst-case scenario, I can go to the UK as a tourist as I do not require a visa, since I carry a US passport. Then, when I am back in my home country (in december) I would apply for the visa.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I live in the UAE, I am a US citizen.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I think thats all
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
My question is, can I go to the UK as a tourist using my US passport. Then when I am back to the UAE in 3 months I'll apply for the visa.
Expert:  Immigration Warrior replied 8 days ago.

Further to your question, kindly note that without a student visa you will not be able to commence your course. It is illegal for the University to able to you to commence your course on a visitor visa.

Unfortunately, you will need to wait and apply for a student visa.