Lawyer21
Lawyer21, CILEx Lawyer & SRA Accredited Immigration Adviser
Experience:  CILEx Lawyer & SRA Accredited Immigration Adviser
31642296

Im british and my wife is british and we were married under

hi im british and my wife is british and we were married under islamic nikah, we have not been married by civil law. we have separated and are going to divorce islamically. Is this sufficient if i want to marry in pakistan and bring my future spouse over.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: i am british as explained. i have not filed any paper as of yet.just asking your advice
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no

Hi, Welcome to JA

Your dissolution must be recognised in accordance with English law. Therefore, this would not be suffice.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
how do I go about this?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I don’t want to call text
Customer: replied 11 days ago.

You will require the original marriage certificate or a duplicate copy of the original and file for divorce proceedings. You can also get divorce in your home country if this is a quicker process - must it be recognised in accordance with English law.

https://www.gov.uk/divorce/file-for-divorce

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
basically we have to file for an English divorce ?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Even though we haven’t done an English marriage

You can file for English divorce or Islamic Civil divorce. Not just by words

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Does mean we can file for a divorce through the shariah council ?

Yes that would be the right course of action to get advice and further assistance

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
a divorce certificate from the shariah council would be sufficient to bring a future spouse over from Pakistan ?

If this is recognised in English law then you will be free to marry otherwise apply for divorce in the UK

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Is a divorce certificate the only thing the home office would need to bring a future spouse over ?

You will need a degree absolute and get married to bring your new wife

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
By degree you mean the divorce certificate?

decree absolute- yes

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you for your help

Most Welcome