How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 5461
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I’m looking to visit a relative in the US who has been

This answer was rated:

I’m looking to visit a relative in the US who has been diagnosed with cancer. I’m not eligible for an ESTA visa due to having visited Yemen in 2014. I’ve applied for a B2 but available appointments are in April 2022. Is there any other way?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I live in the UK, my nationality and citizenship is British. I’ve completed the B2 form but the appointment available is April 2022
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?
Customer: I haven’t
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: that’s everything for now

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Very sorry to hear of your relative.

Unfortunately, to,visit the USA as a visitor, you need either an ESTA or the B2 visa.

In your case the B2 visa. Until you have had your interview and granted the visa, there is no way to enter the USA. Even if you had the B2 visa now, there is still a ban on entry to the USA from the U.K. visa or not.

You would  need to make an application to the embassy in London for a NIE to enter the USA during the current travel restriction.
The on,y ground available would be humanitarian, but unless the relative is very close to you and would be dependant on you, the application is likely to fail. I have known of a number of such cases am they have failed.

The NIE national interest exemption, is very hard to obtain. You would need to demonstrate why granting you a NIE is in the national interest of the USA.

Sorry to say, but at the moment until your visa is granted and then travel restrictions lifted, you are stuck with online video messaging.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
My uncle is starting treatment in a months time and the reason for travel is to support them. Would that suffice?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
thank you for taking time to produce an elaborate and clear response.

Unfortunately, I really feel that an application would fail.

You would require either the ESTA or visa before applying for the NIE.
But an uncle is very likely to be rejected as not close.
Normally, parent, child etc is about as close as they go.

Also to support them, as considerate as that is, is not benefiting the national interest of the USA.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
He’s my uncle but also my fiancé’s dad just to clarify.

Your fiancé may be more likely to be granted a NIE as it is her father. But unlikely youmwould be granted permission.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I see, thank you very much for the clarification. Thank you immeasurably for your time.

Your welcome.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

james bruce and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you