How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawyer21 Your Own Question
Lawyer21, CILEx Lawyer & SRA Accredited Immigration Adviser
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2998
Experience:  CILEx Lawyer & SRA Accredited Immigration Adviser
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Lawyer21 is online now

Do i need a visa if I am a Canadian citizen travelling to

This answer was rated:

Do i need a visa if I am a Canadian citizen travelling to the UK to do a 10 week commercial diving training program (in Scotland; the institution is called the "Professional Diving Academy")?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: No paperwork. I am living in Canada and I am a Canadian citizen
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am travelling to the UK on September 14th (tomorrow) and the program starts on October 18th
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hi, Welcome to JA

If you are a Canadian national, you do not require a visa to the UK. You will be given 6 months leave to enter

In respect of a visa to take the course, you should make further enquires with the establishment in terms of enrolment

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
To enrol in the program I did not need a visa. The admin staff at the academy just told me to check with the UK gov if I need a VISA. I did see that as a Canadian citizen, I can study in the UK for 6 months at an accredited UK institution, but I did not find the school that I am going to-- The Professional Diving Academy-- on the list. THIs is why I am confused.

I see let me check for you.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
this is the school
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
these links apparently show which institutions are "accredited institutions":

The links you have provided are in relation to educational institutions for Tier 4 Students.

You are looking to attend a driving training program

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
ok so do I need a visa for a dive training program then?

No you do not unless it has been specifically asked by them

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
ok and if border services ask why I am in the country, I can just tell them that I taking dive training at this institution and they did not require a visa for the enrolment? or Do i just say i am here for tourism purposes

I cannot advise you to lie. Honestly is always the best policy

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
oh ok. Understood. I'll ask the school for an enrolment letter and hopefully that should be sufficient. THanks for your help!


Lawyer21 and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you