Lawyer21
Lawyer21, CILEx Lawyer & SRA Accredited Immigration Adviser
Experience:  CILEx Lawyer & SRA Accredited Immigration Adviser
31642296

Do i need a visa if I am a Canadian citizen travelling to

Do i need a visa if I am a Canadian citizen travelling to the UK to do a 10 week commercial diving training program (in Scotland; the institution is called the "Professional Diving Academy")?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: No paperwork. I am living in Canada and I am a Canadian citizen
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am travelling to the UK on September 14th (tomorrow) and the program starts on October 18th
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hi, Welcome to JA

If you are a Canadian national, you do not require a visa to the UK. You will be given 6 months leave to enter

In respect of a visa to take the course, you should make further enquires with the establishment in terms of enrolment

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
To enrol in the program I did not need a visa. The admin staff at the academy just told me to check with the UK gov if I need a VISA. I did see that as a Canadian citizen, I can study in the UK for 6 months at an accredited UK institution, but I did not find the school that I am going to-- The Professional Diving Academy-- on the list. THIs is why I am confused.

I see let me check for you.

http://www.professionaldivingacademy.com/

http://www.professionaldivingacademy.com/contact-us/

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
this is the school
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
these links apparently show which institutions are "accredited institutions": https://www.gov.uk/visa-to-study-english/your-course

The links you have provided are in relation to educational institutions for Tier 4 Students.

You are looking to attend a driving training program

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
ok so do I need a visa for a dive training program then?

No you do not unless it has been specifically asked by them

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
ok and if border services ask why I am in the country, I can just tell them that I taking dive training at this institution and they did not require a visa for the enrolment? or Do i just say i am here for tourism purposes

I cannot advise you to lie. Honestly is always the best policy

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
oh ok. Understood. I'll ask the school for an enrolment letter and hopefully that should be sufficient. THanks for your help!