How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawyerAk Your Own Question
LawyerAk, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2183
Experience:  Expert in Immigration and family law
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
LawyerAk is online now

I have a number of questions around Unmarried Partner visa.

This answer was rated:

Hi, I have a number of questions around Unmarried Partner visa. Would it be better to have a call?

Good morning, I am Lawyer Ak and I will be assisting you today.

Please go ahead with questions?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Good morning
I have a friend who is in the uk on a unmarried partner visa. She is going through a rough time with him and is considering breaking up. She only has 5 months left on the visa. She wants to stay in the UK and I understand that she could stay if her stay totals 5 years- is that an option and how does it work?

If the relationship has broken down and her partners reports this to the home office then her visa will be curtailed meaning that she would need to look at another visa route to stay in the U.K.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
What happens if they stay together and she reaches 5 years status. Is she eligible to stay in the uk permanently
Customer: replied 12 days ago.

She will be eligible after 5 years for Indefinite leave to remain in the U.K.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Does she have to apply for anything after the 5 years or is it automatic

She would be required to make the application for Indefinite leave to remain.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
If she separated from her partner and it is over 5 years she can stay based on making the said application. Is that right?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Can the partner contest the application in any way
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hello are we still connected?

She must still be with partner to qualify for permanent residence otherwise she will not qualify.

LawyerAk and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Once she qualifies, could she leave her partner and still stay in the uk

That’s her personal choice if wishing to do so.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Sorry I meant if she choose to separate. She would still be eligible to stay in the uk