How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 3071
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

If my daughter is 19 when I apply for ILR, can she apply for

This answer was rated:

If my daughter is 19 when I apply for ILR, can she apply for an extension of the dependent visa, or is applying for ILR her opnly option?To me it makes sense that if I change status (tier 2 worker to ILR) she can't stat as a tier 2 (or skilled worker) dependent. However, I read somewhere the dependents can apply to extend if they don't meet the requrements for ILR.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Also, if my daughter is school overseas, can she apply for an extension from there, or must she be in the UK to apply for an extension?

Hi there,

She can apply for ILR with you , provided she is still dependent on you and have not formed an independent life of her own.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I've read though that you must be in the UK to apply for ILR. Can you apply for a visa extension while abroad, or must you be in the UK?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
My daughter is planning to be in France when our visa expires. I'm trying to figure out if she needs to delay her education to avoid immigration problems.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The other big queston I'm trying to resolve is if a dependent can apply for a dependent visa extension when the sponsor applied for ILR. I can't find the asnwer on the governmnet sites.

Your daughter can apply for ILR from within the UK or outside ,

However, if she applies from abroad then she would have to wait till the decision is made on her application, to return back to the UK.

Usually you can apply from your home country and country of your residence.

Vineet S and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok. That's great to know. Thank you.

My pleasure. Have a good day. Best wishes.