How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawyerAk Your Own Question
LawyerAk, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2165
Experience:  Expert in Immigration and family law
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
LawyerAk is online now

I have right of abode in the UK which I have renewed 3 times

This answer was rated:

I have right of abode in the UK which I have renewed 3 times already. I have 5 years right of abode due for renewal. Can I know apply to naturalise?

Good afternoon, I am Lawyer Ak and I will be assisting you today.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you

Right of abode does not give you automatic right to apply for British passport you would need to have visa status in U.K. for example on a leave to remain visa you can apply for naturalisation.

When you first issued with right of abode?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
14 years ago

If you have another visa for U.K. then you can look at naturalisation.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Another visa? Such as?

Skilled work visa whereby you would require sponsorship from a company to proceed.

To qualify for a Skilled Worker visa( previously known as Tier 2 work visa) you must:

work for a UK employer that’s been approved by the Home Office

have a ‘certificate of sponsorship’ from your employer with information about the role you’ve been offered in the UK

do a job that’s on the list of eligible occupations

be paid a minimum salary - how much depends on the type of work you do.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I am retired

Do you have partner in the U.K.?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Can I switch to another immigration category within the UK. Can I use my right of abode to calculate 10 year residence in the UK

You cannot use your right of abode as part of the 10 years residence in the uk. The right of abode does not restrict you in the uk to live and work just that cannot obtain British citizenship through for it.


LawyerAk and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok. Thank you.