How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawyerAk Your Own Question
LawyerAk, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2185
Experience:  Expert in Immigration and family law
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
LawyerAk is online now

I am writing on behalf of two Iraqi families seeking asylum

This answer was rated:

Hi Pearl - I am writing on behalf of two Iraqi families seeking asylum in the Uk (they are currently in South Africa with me). I would like to organise a consultation to help us know how to proceed. They have two weeks on their visa granted in South Africa. If they are to be returned, they will be killed for religious reasons. There is good documentation for the case, including public youtube videos calling for their deaths, and court cases conducted in Iraq over the issue.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: They have been flown to South Africa, and have two weeks left on the visa they were given. We have not filled in any paperwork with UK government, do not quite know where to start. We have contacts in UK who can assist with accommodating and supporting them. I am South African, and reside in South AFrica.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about asylum?
Customer: I have phoned a legal firm just now, given them the details of the case. They said they will reply in 48 hours, and if we don't hear back from them they are at capacity and take it the case will not be taken up.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Thank you - just the above I think. There are two families, each with two young children (i.e. total 4 adults, 4 children). We have been involved with them in Iraq for the last 5 years +, so know their history well, etc. Religious disagreements in the area have resulted in death threats.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Good afternoon, I am Lawyer Ak and I will be assisting you today.

They can make application for a visit visa in the U.K. then when they arrive they can look at making an application for asylum. They will go for initial screening then will be called for a second interview more detailed on the basis of their claim.

They would need to procure evidence in regards ***** ***** basis of their claim.

Do they hold a passport?


Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi there, thank you.
Yes they have valid passports.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok thank you noted - so we will try get a visit visa from this side (South Africa). They have only two weeks to be in South Africa. Would we be able to arrange an immigration lawyer to meet them when they land if we can organise the visit visa?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Is the only way they can conduct the asylum interview to do it there in the UK? Could they not do it at i.e. the UK Consulate General in South Africa?With COVID travelling from South Africa to the UK is very difficult.

When they land they can get a law firm to take on their case and proceed to make application for asylum. I will send further guidance.

Asylum for U.K. can only be claimed on arrival in the U.K.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you - further guidance would be appreciated about how to go about this. This link you sent now we would only use to find solicitors once in the UK? or would we set it up beforehand?

The link can be used if you want lawyers to make application also for the visitor visa. If not then once I’m U.K. can contact them.

LawyerAk and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok thank you, ***** ***** try to find a solicitor to help me do the visit visa.