Lawyer21
Lawyer21, CILEx Lawyer & SRA Accredited Immigration Adviser
Experience:  CILEx Lawyer & SRA Accredited Immigration Adviser
31642296

Need info on marriage overseas and bringing my partner to

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: need info on marriage overseas and bringing my partner to the uk
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: Not spoken to anyone. UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: just wanted to get details on the process. I plan to Have a religious marriage ceremony in Dubai but not sure if I will also require a court marriage as well in UAE. I then plan to apply for spouse visa on behalf of my spouse to come live with me in the UK.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Lawyer21 replied 15 days ago.

HI, Welcome to JA

Expert:  Lawyer21 replied 15 days ago.

You will require a Civil Court marriage registry in order for the marriage to be recognised in accordance with English law.

Expert:  Lawyer21 replied 15 days ago.

I will send you the Spouse visa requirements bringing your partner to the UK

Expert:  Lawyer21 replied 15 days ago.

In order to qualify for a UK Spouse visa you will need to satisfy UK Visas and Immigration that you meet the following requirements:

• Your partner is British, holds indefinite leave to remain, limited leave to remain under Appendix EU or limited leave to remain under Appendix ECAA;
  • You are both over the age of 18;
  • You have met in person and are legally married;
  • Your relationship is genuine and you intend to live together permanently;
  • Any previous relationships have broken down permanently;
  • You will be adequately maintained in the UK without recourse to public funds;
  • There is adequate accommodation for you and any dependents;
  • You speak and understand English to the required level.
Expert:  Lawyer21 replied 15 days ago.

The financial requirement for a UK Spouse visa application states that you will need to demonstrate that your Spouse (or both of you jointly if you are in the UK with valid leave to remain) has a gross annual income of at least:

• £18,600
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Is an Islamic marriage certificate no longer recognised as a valid marriage by the home office? I only ask as my brother married his wife in Pakistan and they only had a nikah marriage certificate but didn’t do any court marriage in Pakistan. She got her visa and has been here nearly 5 years.
Expert:  Lawyer21 replied 15 days ago.

Islamic Marriage Certificate (Nikkah) is valid provided it is also acceptable and in accordance with English law.

Expert:  Lawyer21 replied 15 days ago.

It is also advisable to get a court marriage in Pakistan - Civil Marriage.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
would you recommend a civil marriage in court with my partner in UAE, as I will also be getting a nikkah ceremony done there.
Expert:  Lawyer21 replied 15 days ago.

Yes this is advisable

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
In regards ***** ***** proof that home office requires to prove the relationship, such as social media accounts, WhatsApp chats etc… is there a minimum time they require for the communication before the spouse visa application is completed?
Expert:  Lawyer21 replied 15 days ago.

Pre-marriage and post marriage is best here. So, if they have already started communicating this evidence should also be attached in support of the application

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
this marriage is an arranged one, so most likely communication with my future spouse will be post marriage. The marriage is taking place in February. Would it suffice to have maybe a weeks communication or would they require something like a months worth of chats?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
There are no direct chats between us pre marriage, just video calls really. If they require any textual conversations, then this will only be after the marriage in February.
Expert:  Lawyer21 replied 15 days ago.

A couple of weeks would be sufficient. You should print off all evidence in support of the application

Expert:  Lawyer21 replied 15 days ago.

In the application, you will be asked whether the marriage is arranged?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Yeah, I have evidence of chats with her brother discussing the arrangements
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
We’ve been in contact only about a month so I can provide all the discussions until the actual marriage
Expert:  Lawyer21 replied 15 days ago.

Great!

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Is it better to get the application done via a solicitor or is it something I can fill in and send myself
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Also, I understand the costs for the visa is around £1500 and another £1500 approx for the medical insurance - and this is only valid for 2.5 years. Is this correct?
Expert:  Lawyer21 replied 15 days ago.

It is best to get it done by a solicitor - if you are comfortable with the process you can get this done yourself.

Expert:  Lawyer21 replied 15 days ago.

Yes the visa fee is £1,523 plus £1,560 towards the NHS charge.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
What is the application called? Spouse visa?
Expert:  Lawyer21 replied 15 days ago.

Spouse visa

Expert:  Lawyer21 replied 15 days ago.

If you have any more questions, please open up a new post/question and earmark for Lawyer21!

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you for your support
Expert:  Lawyer21 replied 15 days ago.

Most Welcome