How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawyer21 Your Own Question
Lawyer21, CILEx Lawyer & SRA Accredited Immigration Adviser
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 3108
Experience:  CILEx Lawyer & SRA Accredited Immigration Adviser
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Lawyer21 is online now

Can I call my husband over to the uk if I claim benefits, Uk

This answer was rated:

Can I call my husband over to the uk if I claim benefits
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: Uk resident married to a african man
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Is this service free

Hi, Welcome to JA

Which benefits are you claiming?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Esa and pip

You are entitled to apply for your husband to come and join you in the UK on a Spouse visa.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No just type please i have a cold and have lost me voice

If your UK Sponsor (person present and settled in the UK) – husband or wife is in receipt of the following specified benefits, you will not need to fulfil the financial requirement of £18, 600

  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Personal Independent Payment (PIP)
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement benefit
  • Police Injury Pension
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment or Guaranteed Income Payment
  • Constant Attendance Allowance, Mobility Supplement or War Disablement Pension under War Pension Scheme

You can ignore the phone prompt, it is automated

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Is there still amount of savings you need to have to call them over because I dont have savings but would be able to afford his stay in the uk he is a nurse also in sierra leone but as you may know its a very poor country so the money is bad over there so he has no savings

In order to qualify for a UK Spouse visa you will need to satisfy UK Visas and Immigration that you meet the following requirements:

  • Your partner is British, holds indefinite leave to remain, limited leave to remain under Appendix EU or limited leave to remain under Appendix ECAA;
  • You are both over the age of 18;
  • You have met in person and are legally married;
  • Your relationship is genuine and you intend to live together permanently;
  • Any previous relationships have broken down permanently;
  • You will be adequately maintained in the UK without recourse to public funds;
  • There is adequate accommodation for you and any dependents;
  • You speak and understand English to the required level - A1 Listening and Speaking Test

You will need to met the adequate maintenance instead.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
What is that

A minus B is greater than or equal to C.

Where: A is the net income (after deduction of income tax and National Insurance contributions);

B is housing costs (i.e. what needs to be spent on accommodation);

and C is the amount of Income Support an equivalent British family of that size can receive.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
how much money is required to prove before you can call them over
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Also we am going for a standard visa first for 6 months as my father is very sick and dyeing of cancer and I want me husband to meet him before anything happens so I wanted to go for this to make it quicker instead of waiting for the spouse visa to come through

The weekly amount must be more or equal to £117.40

Are you looking to apply for a standard visit visa for your father too?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No my father is in UK we am British its just for me husband to come to the uk to meet my father as he hasnt meet him yet because my father been to sick and unable to fly now they have only given my father 1 year to live

I see

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
But I know the spouse visas am taking a while to come back and I really haven't got the time to wait for the spouse visa

Spouse visa can take between 4-8 weeks for a decision to be made.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Yeah I know so when applying for visa standard how much money has to be in the bank to apply I have 1200 pound now in my bank would the visa be excepted I also get 260 pound every 2 weeks then I get 740 pound every month I live with family so I don't pay rent I live with my mom have me own bedroom with Is where my husband will stay with me

The more savings you have the better

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Also on a standard visa do I need to send my married certificate to them


Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Do you have to show bank statements

At least 6 months

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
What are the necessary documents needed for a standard visa
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Please be honest with me I just want to ask do you think it would be excepted with just 1200 of proof in the bank

£1,200 will be okay if your husband also has his own savings and can show he will financially support himself. Of course the more you have in terms of savings the better

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
He doesn't have savings it will be me financially supporting him in the uk so which way do we turn now please
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
He is a private nurse so the money he earns he has to buy his food and stuff in africa
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I dont want to pay for this visa and put it in untill I know its all right as I dont want to be let down with it
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Also what kind of test does he need to have like does he need to take English test or have any vaccinations

He does not need to do the English test for a standard visitor visa.

If you have any other questions please open up a new post/question - Mark it for Lawyer21. I will be happy to help.

Lawyer21 and 2 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thankyou so much for your help

Thank you for using JA today