james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

If I’m visiting the UK from the USA and have stayed around 6

Customer Question

If I’m visiting the UK from the USA and have stayed around 6 months at a time with 1-2 month gaps between stays, will I be denied entry if I visit for the Christmas break? It is for tourist purposes, I am a full time student in California and hold two jobs there but wish to visit for December! Will I run into any issues? To clarify, the initial 6 months was when covid was rife - I caught covid and my flights were cancelled thereafter. The second visit was for pleasure, I travelled around the UK. As I didn’t experience Christmas properly here last year (covid), I’m looking for visit for ONE MONTH in December. I am a full time student and have a full time job and part time job in America. The trip is for tourist purposes as I love the culture and have so much more I need to see.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  james bruce replied 9 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

As a tourist from the USA you are allowed to enter and stay in the UK for up to six months with out a visa.

That is, six months in total in any 12 month period. If you have visited the UK more than once and stayed longer than 6 months in a 12 month period, then you were lucky to have done so without being stopped on entry.

It really is a matter of luck, if you are stopped and refused entry if you come for Christmas and have already stayed in the UK for 6 mouths in total in the last 12 month period.

If you can show proof of you job, studies and retune ticket, then luck may be on your side and you could well get in again.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
There is no 6 month within a year limit anymore so I’m confused
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
The entry requirements state 6 months at any given time and is not limited to certain amounts within a time period
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
If you leave the UK and re enter the 6 month timer is reset
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Could you refer me to some resources or websites where otherwise is stated

Sorry I mi read the question and it somehow got muddle with another.

You are of course correct that there is no written rule about 6 months max for US tourists.

You can indeed come and go as often as you wish and stay for up to 6 months son any one visit.

The only risk you may have at boarder control would be if you have been spending a lot of time in the UK and very little time out of the UK. The boarder control could see this as a simple attempt to bypass immigration and visa requirement and to stay semi permanent in the UK. If you are stopped and they suggest this, you would need to convince them that  is not the case. The should be fairly easy to do as you were stuck in the UK because of cover, so that was out side your control, you can show a return ticket and proof of job in the USA.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance.