How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawyerAk Your Own Question
LawyerAk, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2455
Experience:  Expert in Immigration and family law
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
LawyerAk is online now

I am a US immigration lawyer. I would like to relocate to

Customer Question

I am a US immigration lawyer. I would like to relocate to the UK. I have no job yet. I understand that US citizens are able to stay in England for up to 6 months without a visa. If I get a job during the six month period, will I need to leave the country to apply for a work visa or can it be done while in the UK?
JA: Just to clarify, which visa specifically are you asking about?
Customer: a work visa
JA: Have you already talked to a lawyer about the visa?
Customer: not yet
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am applying to UK firms that practice US immigration law. I am married as well
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  LawyerAk replied 7 days ago.

Good evening, I am Lawyer Ak and I will be assisting you today.

Expert:  LawyerAk replied 7 days ago.

Unfortunately, you will need to apply for a skilled work visa from your home country to be able to work in the uk.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
it would be impossible to “convert” to a skilled visa while in the UK?
Expert:  LawyerAk replied 7 days ago.

Do you have partner in the U.K.?

Expert:  LawyerAk replied 7 days ago.

Unfortunately it must be from the US the application.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No. I have been looking for a job. I understand that I would need a firm to sponsor me.
Expert:  LawyerAk replied 7 days ago.

If it’s a renewal visa then you can apply for U.K.

Expert:  LawyerAk replied 7 days ago.

Yes the firm would need to have a sponsor license before they can proceed to sponsor.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok. I understand. It’s similar to the way it is done in the US.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok thank you.
May I ask are there are a lot of firms in the UK that do US immigration law?
Is there a website that you would recommend to go to considering my specialty?
Expert:  LawyerAk replied 7 days ago.

They do have a handful of firms that do US immigration law.  I will send you a link to find firms through the law society where you can search the law.