How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 5895
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I am an American looking to move to the United Kingdom.

This answer was rated:

I am an American looking to move to the United Kingdom. What’s the most inexpensive way to get a visa?
JA: Just to clarify, which visa specifically are you asking about?
Customer: im not sure which visa I can get
JA: Have you already talked to a lawyer about the visa?
Customer: no I haven’t
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I would like to get a visa to live in the United Kingdom with my fiancé. We are under the impression we can’t get a family/marriage visa because he doesn’t make £18,000 a year. Is there a way we can get a visa for me to live with him without that salary? He is a student.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Very much like people moving to the USA, there is no cheap option.

It will really depend on why you want to come to the U.K. and how long you want to stay.

There are a number of different options, ranging from basic tourist visa, student visa up to investor.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I was considering enrolling in Uni just to get a visa to live with him but that seems like a very expensive way to be able to live in the United kindong
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
How can I obtain a tourist visa or visa from an investor and how much do those cost?

A student visa “must to live with someone” is a false visa application reason.

You would need to be accepted at uni, have funds to cover the course fees, and living costs, show evidence of why you want to attend the course in the U.K. rather than a uni in the USA, you would need to show ties to the USA and proof that you will return after your course.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
the most true visa is a marriage visa but he doesn’t make £18,000 a year. Is it possible to get a marriage visa still?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
We are currently engaged and our wedding is in January.

Being from the USA You don’t need a tourist visa you can stay for 6 months without one. An investment visa you are talking a 7 figure amount.

A marriage visa requires you to leave after six months, and the marriage must be genuine not simply a way to come to the UK

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
My relationship is genuine, we have been together for multiple years, for the most part long distance. 6 months doesn’t do us much good as most leases require you to sign for a year, and we will be genuinely married and wanting to live together permanently

You can apply to change status after marriage, but from what you are saying the two of you don’t even have the minimum funds to meet the basic visa requirement.

The option below is the best for you, but again you need funds and proof. This can be joint funds.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
How are you supposed to prove that you have been living together for two years if I can only stay in the UK for six months? We met in 2019 and have been in a long-distance relationship since Then
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Can the funds come from a savings account or does it have to be salary/income. If I have a bank account with $20,000 in it and a statement will that be enough?

What counts as income

You and your partner can use:

income from employment before tax and National Insurance (check your P60 or payslips) - you can only use your own income if you earn it in the UK

income you earn from self-employment or as a director of a limited company in the UK - check your Self Assessment tax return

cash savings above £16,000

money from a pension

non-work income, for example from property rentals or dividends

If you’re using income from self-employment or employment, you’ll need to prove you or your partner received that income for 6 months or more.

you’ve been living together in a relationship for at least 2 years when you apply


you are a fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner and will marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of arriving

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
If I have $20,000 in savings and my partner has £7,000 will this do?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
This is savings accumulated over the years

You need at least £18600 between you. The savings only count anything about £16000 that is about $22k.
so I think you would not qualify financially.

Whatbis his £7000 is that savings or wages?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
They are both savings

Does he work? does he have a job with an income?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
he does

Then his salary also counts towards the £18600

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Okay great so as long as he makes £2000 in a year + both of our savings that would be the £18,000 to qualify?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
163;2600 rather
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
He makes around £7,000 a year as a student, has £7,000 saved, and I have $20,000 (about £14,000 saved) so we should qualify with this right?

If that all adds up then yes.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Okay, so how do I begin this process? We are planning to marry in the beginning of January.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Am I able to submit the application, bank statements, and paycheck stubs before the wedding to expedite the process?

I would suggest he finds a local immigration firm to help you both. You are very unlikely to have all of this sorted by January 2022.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Okay, so if I am able to stay in the UK for 6 months in a given year, and I arrived in august, (5 months in 2021) can I legally stay for another 6 months starting in January 2022?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I arrived at the end of august 2021

you can stay for up to 6 moths in any visit.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
if I return to America in January, I can come back and stay legally for another 6 months?

correct, or vist Europe.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Oh wow okay then I guess I wouldn’t really need a visa as long as I visited home every 6 months

There is nothing to say that you have to return to the USA every six months. The rules state you can stay for six months then must leave. No minimum time you have to be gone before returning. Only if you do it to often and stay out of the UK so little you could be refused entry as they may think you are living full time in the UK without a visa and simply using the travel as a way to try and avoid a visa.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Okay so if we spent the time 50/50 in the uk and the United States would that be okay?

No reason why not, if he can get a visa for the USA.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
How long can an English citizen legally stay in the United States?

That is a separate question sorry. I am dealing with your original question about UK immigration not US immigration.

But as a visitor only 3 months max, with a B-2 tourist visa 6 months in any 12 month period, but he is unlikely to be granted that visa as a UK student.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Okay thank you very much for your help I think I’m all set now

He could apply for a spouse visa in the USA and you could both live there.

Goos luck either way.

james bruce and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you!

your welcome.