LawyerAk
LawyerAk, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert in Immigration and family law
109603637

I have a question regarding whether I can apply for a UK

Hi I have a question regarding whether I can apply for a UK naturalisation
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: No, I haven't filed any paperwork yet because I'm not sure how to pursue this situation. I'm Colombian with a child dependant visa
JA: The Immigration Lawyer will be able to walk you through that. Have you talked to a lawyer about the citizenship application?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: i dont think so

Good evening, I am Lawyer Ak and I will be assisting you today.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi, nice to meet you

Once you have obtained indefinite leave to remain in the U.K. then after a year then you are eligible for naturalisation as a British citizen.

When did you  first receive your dependent visa?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
How can I obtain a leave to remain? I've been living here for 6 years already
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
i received the visa in Sept of 2015
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I have had to rennovate it each year due to my father's work, but I have studied here ever since I was 14 and have all kinds of proof that I never left the country to live anywhere else

Then your on the 10 year route so after 4 years you will be eligible for ILR then after naturalisation.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Why do I need to wait for 10 years? is it due to my visa type?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Does the fact that I've had to rennovate my BRP each year affect whether they are continuous or not for the ILR application in four years?

So when we’re you initially granted a visa in the U.K. because if it were from 2015 this is why you would have to await 4 more years.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Oh i see,

You can change visas but must have continuous stay without breaks in visa to qualify for ILR.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
oh okay, thank you!

It was a pleasure assisting you today. Kind regards.