How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawyerAk Your Own Question
LawyerAk, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2611
Experience:  Expert in Immigration and family law
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
LawyerAk is online now

If I apply for a graduate visa and then switch my visa to

This answer was rated:

If I apply for a graduate visa and then switch my visa to student visa, do I have to pay for healthcare surcharge twice?
JA: Could you provide me with any other relevant information about the situation surrounding the visa?
Customer: What do you mean
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: I don't want to pay twice for the healthcare surcharge
JA: Have you already talked to a lawyer about the visa?
Customer: no not yet
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: My BRP expires on 21st January. I might start my PhD studentship in April. If I apply for a graduate visa and then switch to student visa will I be paying double for the healthcare surcharge?
Good afternoon, I am Lawyer Ak and I will be assisting you today.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Good afternoon! Thank you for your reply. Can you help me with this issue please?

You would need to pay for the health surcharge again when making new application.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
double charge?

You can later request a refund for the period left if you have like a year plus left on previous visa.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will it be certain for me to get a refund or uncertain?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you have evidence saying healthcare charges are refundable? Thank you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also what if I use my healthcare surcharge for only 3 months, Can I still get a refund?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It says Tier 2 visa. I will be on Graduate visa so its not Tier 2
The  home office do refund if you have like a year left on visa for switch.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But they don't refund the application fee right?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If my BRP expires on 21st January, when should I apply for a graduate visa?
They do not refund the application fee. You must apply before 21 January.

So a month before will be fine.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It says here as well right?
that’s correct.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much for your help. I have just finished my application and paid my fees.
It was a pleasure assisting you today. Kind regards.
LawyerAk and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you