INC Law
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I hold a British Citizen passport but I have never stayed in

Customer Question

I hold a British Citizen passport but I have never stayed in the UK for more than14 days. I don't have a home in the UK either. I'd like to know the difference between an UK ordinary resident and a UK statutory tax resident ("STR"), if any. For example, if I first arrived to UK on 1 Jul 2022, will I become a UK ordinary resident immediately after landing on UK because of my BC status? Will I be only liable to UK tax when I have stayed in UK for more than 183 days i.e. when I become a STR in the tax year 2022/23? Am I correct to say that when I leave the UK permanently, I become a non-STR from the day of my departure? Many thanks.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  INC Law replied 16 days ago.

Thank you for your query.  I am a Solicitor-Advocate in the UK and will be assisting you with your question today.

Is the question relating to domicile status?

As a UK Passport holder, you are deemed to be a UK Citizen.

With reference to domicile status, you would not be liable to pay tax in the UK, if you are not domiciled in the UK

Expert:  INC Law replied 14 days ago.

In the absence of further information, I can only provide a general answer.

If you are not domiciled in the UK, you would not be required to pay tax in the UK.

I hope this answers your question. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,