Immigration Warrior
Immigration Warrior, Lawyer
Experience:  Solicitor
106663647

My partner left the U.K. and was told he couldn’t return for

Customer Question

Hi, my partner left the U.K. and was told he couldn’t return for 1 year. We’re planning to get married in a couple of weeks and get a spouses visa so we can return in November. Does the 1 year rule just apply to someone coming in as a tourist? Or will it effect the spouse visa too? He originally came in on a tourist visa, then covid happened. We tried to get a partner visa but it was rejected, we appealed but lost. We didn’t have bills and bank statements going back to the start of our relationship.
JA: What steps has the spouse taken? Has he filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country does he live in? If different, what is his citizenship?
Customer: He entered on his Argentinian passport. We then tried to get him an Italian passport because he had dual citizenship. It took a year to arrive so it was past the deadline for the EU settlement scheme. We applied anyway a few months ago but heard nothing back. He’ll be applying with his italian passport. I’m a British citizen, we’re both living in the Netherlands at the moment.
JA: Has he talked to a lawyer about the family visa?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Immigration Warrior replied 7 days ago.

Further to your question, I am an Immigration Solicitor and will be assisting you with your application today

Kindly note that there is no re-entry ban in your case as you are applying under the spouse route and his previous overstaying will not affect the application as long as you meet the requirements of the spouse visa.

Expert:  Immigration Warrior replied 6 days ago.
Please do let me know if you need any further information or assistance
Please see the guidance below in relation to applying for the spouse visa 

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/partner-spouse

Expert:  Immigration Warrior replied 5 days ago.

I do hope that I have managed to answer your question and many thanks for visiting the JustAnswer website.