MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

Can I work remotely for a US company in the UK for less than

Customer Question

Can I work remotely for a US company in the UK for less than 6 months? To give some background: I am a full-time salaried Creative Director for a US company. I would be attending online meetings, messaging coworkers online and doing graphic design work. For my living situation: I would be renting a flat for the (less than 6 months) time I would be there. I am looking do to this in either London or Edinburgh. Is this possible? Do I need a visa?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: No steps have been taken yet. I wanted to find out if it's even do-able before I look for a place to rent.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?
Customer: US citzenship
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Currently live in the US
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
More background: I am a US citizen living in the USA.
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 15 days ago.
Hello, I am happy to help with your enquiry today.

I just want to clarify. On what visa are you planning to enter the UK with? Is it on Tourist Visa?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
That is what I am wondering if you can help me with. I haven't made any actual plans yet. I am trying to find out if it's allowed and if so, what kind of Visa would I need?

In order to work in the UK, you will need a UK Work Visa to do so. However, a work visa is intended for those who have employment sponsorship in the UK. On the other hand, you may apply for a Tourist Visa to stay in the UK for a maximum of 6 months or less, however, you are not permitted to do any work in the UK while on this visa. In conclusion, you cannot work remotely in the UK. You may however attend meetings and do emails, but any day-to-day work is prohibited.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you. I'm assuming that includes Scotland as well?

Yes, since Scotland has shared a legislature with the rest of the United Kingdom, so the UK law also applies to Scotland as well.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you. Lastly, the company I work for does have an office in London. Is there anything they might be able to do to help me get a visa? I see there is a Creative Worker Visa available https://www.gov.uk/creative-worker-visa

In that case, then you can apply for a temporary worker visa. However, there are different types of temporary worker visa. It will depend on what type of work you do. The link you've sent to me is one that is intended for those who work within the creative sector.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you. You've answered all my questions for now. Have a good night!

Happy to help. Thank you for your enquiry today, please do not hesitate to contact us again in the future.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.