How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4405
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

I met my current partner who is a US citizen, i visited him

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: so i met my current partner who is a US citizen, i visited him for 2 weeks and we decided it would be a good idea to move over to the US. I had already been granted the Esta, however when i got to the airport homeland security and they deny it as i hadn't booked a return flight. What would be the best way around this is i weould like to move over there?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: im British i was looking at a K1 visa?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the K-1 visa?
Customer: and him moving to the uk while it's processed.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: not that im aware of
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 15 days ago.
Hi welcome to justanswer
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 15 days ago.
I amCustomerone of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 15 days ago.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 15 days ago.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
not that im aware off
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 15 days ago.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry. It is likely you were turned away because they formed the view that if you were admitted into the country you would not leave.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 15 days ago.

The K1 visa is a good option. This allows you to enter the US as a fiancé, get married and then apply to stay in the US. He needs to be in the US when you apply for this visa though.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 15 days ago.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
My partner is considering coming to the uk for 1 year and then apply for a k1 visa and live in the uk while it is processing then move back to the us with the K1 visa so i would be allowed to remain in the us.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Also as someone interviewed me from homeland security,would this be on my record and effect the chance of the visa.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 15 days ago.

It is likely that the refusal will be on your record. You would only need to explain the circumstances surrounding the refusal of entry when you apply for the k1 visa. You are unlikely to be prejudiced by this.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Is there any other ways you would recommend to allow me to access the us and become a permanent resident? Thank you
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.

I do believe your proposed route is the best one.