Immigration Warrior
Immigration Warrior, Lawyer
Experience:  Solicitor
106663647

My wife is not European nor British. We have a British child

I am British, my wife is not European nor British. We have a British child together. We live in Cyprus. We plan to move to the UK together. I have a job offer from a UK company pending right now. We are trying to decide how they should pay me.We will apply for a spouse visa. According to the BBC these are not being issued right now, and haven't been for 6 months.Even if they were, according to the law, I would have to be in the UK whilst she is out of the UK? Is this true? Is there no way around it? Like I spend some of my time in the UK and some in Cyprus? If so how much?Am I really forced to abandon my wife and daughter in Cyprus??Please help

Further to your question, I am an immigration solicitor and will be assisting you with your question today

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Please do, I am very sad right now

Kindly note that spouse visas are currently being issued.

If you are currently working in Cyprus and are earning over £18,600 and the job that you will be commencing in the UK will commence in the next 3 months and you will be earning over £18,600 then you can apply for the spouse visa now.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
This is against the advice of other lawyers. Could you explain to me exactly those steps?
I was told that, as her sponsor, I MUST be in the UK on application. Is this not true?

Please find enclosed the guidance in relation to applying for a spouse visa and it would need to be applied from abroad.

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/partner-spouse

Kindly note, that is not true as long as you have an address of where you are intending to stay.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
if we have an address, for example my fathers, where we will stay until we find our own place. I do not need to be in the UK?

I deal with a lot of expat's in your situation and you have been misadvised.

That is correct you can use your fathers address

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
May we have the phone call?

I am ringing you now

I am glad that I could assist you today and many thanks for visiting the JustAnswer website.