james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I’m worried my passport won’t come in time, I’ve applied for

I’m worried my passport won’t come in time
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I’ve applied for a standard passport but the waiting time is 10 weeks and I go in July. I’m from the UK. I want to fast track it but it says you can’t do that when you’ve applied
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: no I don’t have a lawyer
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: id be great full if they could speed up my passport applicationCustomer: Chat is completed
Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter. 

Can I please ask you to give me some more detailed information regarding this matter so as to allow me to work with you and help resolve your enquiry.

Have you already made the application?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hiya. Thank you so much I appreciate that, and yes I applied 5 weeks ago and my passport has been on processing for a 4 weeks
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
My holiday amount is very expensive and with who I’ve booked it with. We would need to change the date in 2 weeks if my passport doesn’t come

Unfortunately once the application is in there really is nothing you can do to speed it up.

There is still 7-8 weeks before the start of July, added to the 5 weeks already that would make 12-13 weeks. Your passport should arrive before then, but it is a risk you take?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
My friend has been waiting for her for 16 weeks and it’s still not arrived
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
there’s no way I can speed up the application. As I’m really stressing out about it

Unfortunately not, it should only take 5-6 weeks, but 10 weeks can apply due to delays and they have had plenty of those.

Fast track only applies to renewals at the time of making the application. Or emergency application but that only applies for medical treatment or illness, not for holidays.

Unfortunately it is a matter of holding your nerve for two weeks and see if it arrives before deciding whether to change your booking

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No I completely understand that. Do you not advise me to ring them then?

Certainly you can try, but from experience you would more than likely doe of old age waiting to get through to them to be told there is nothing they can do.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Do you think it will be here within the next 4 weeks and also I have another question. Why does some passports go straight to approved but some passports go to passport processing?

You are asking me to guess. I can only provide a legal answer, My best guess is yes and no, I really cannot say if it will be with you on time, it should be yes, but as you have said a friend of yours took 16 weeks. But that could have beed due to covid staffing problems.

As for hwy some go straight through that is an operating mater for the passport office sorry.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you. You’ve been a lot of help and I hope you have a lovely night

And you, sorry it could not be happier advice. Fingers crossed it arrives.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Do you work hours like this every night?

Yes I do, bit on a night owl.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ah same as me then!

Absolutely, I find I get more done at night.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Oh yeah me too, but my brai never switches off at night. And I panic and get bad anxiety

I fully understand, you are not alone, many people feel this way.

When the light goes out and head hits the pillow, everything just goes around in the mind, and usually no one there to talk to or seek advice from when you need it at the moment. At least being able to seek advice online at night hopefi=illy leads to a better nights sleep eventually.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Yeah that’s so true. It’s so weird isn’t it how some nights you can just drift but others your brain won’t switch off

Absolutely, but help is here anytime when needed.

I also find a cup of hot chocolate with a good tot of Malibu run works well to drift off, tastes great as well,, like a liquid bounty bar.